Wondering what to do with leftover spinach dip? Make a Spinach Dip Frittata for breakfast or brunch! The velvety smoothness of this Spinach Frittata recipe makes it the best crustless quiche you've ever tasted!
Why You'll Love It
- easy recipe with only 7 ingredients
- can be made ahead and assembled in minutes
- rich and flavorful without a crust
- versatile recipe with many variations
- perfect for holidays and special occasions
One day I had some leftover spinach dip in the fridge and wondered, "What could I make with this? How about a Spinach Dip Frittata?"
Not only did it work, it turned out to be the best brunch dish I've ever made. Everyone who tastes it says it's the most amazing crustless quiche they've ever had!
This easy spinach frittata is so rich, you'll never miss the crust found in most quiche recipes. You'll love the creamy custard and velvety texture from the addition of sour cream. It goes really well with my Sundried Tomato Orzo Pasta, and Sassy Fruit Platter if you're feeding a big crowd.
Frittata vs Quiche
What's the difference between a frittata and a quiche? The main difference between the two is the crust. A frittata is basically a crustless quiche, while a traditional quiche has a thick crust on the bottom.
The word frittata is derived from Italy, while quiche is a classic French dish. Quiche is often made with heavy cream, while frittata recipes are sometimes made with less dairy.
Both are a type of egg custard that features different types of meats, vegetables and fresh herbs. The cooking method is different which also alters the cooking time. It takes less time to bake a frittata than a quiche since there is no crust involved.
This spinach frittata recipe is as simple as making a batch of spinach dip and adding 8 beaten eggs. The whole thing is that easy! Your guests will never know unless you tell them. But, they will definitely tell you it's the best thing they've ever eaten!
See recipe card for quantities.
- large eggs
- frozen chopped spinach
- sour cream
- green onions
- shredded parmesan cheese
- Knorr vegetable recipe mix
How to Make a Spinach Frittata
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk eggs in a bowl and set aside.
In a separate large bowl, mix mayonnaise and sour cream with Knorr soup mix.
Thaw and drain spinach by squeezing out water in a colander. Add the onion and spinach to the sour cream mixture. Whisk until completely blended.
Combine beaten eggs with spinach mixture and parmesan cheese. Stir well.
Pour egg mixture into a greased baking dish, tart pans, or pie pan and bake at 350 degrees until middle is set.
The cooking time usually takes 30 minutes for small dishes and 40 minutes for a deeper casserole dish.
A cast-iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet is also a great way to bake a frittata. It's very convenient to pour the egg mixture into a frying pan and pop it in the oven. Now you have a one-pan wonder!
There are many different ways to make savory custards with a variety of filling ingredients. The combination of eggs with meats and vegetables is a perfect match.
Use my basic recipe and try these added ingredients if you're looking to mix things up a little...
You can freeze a frittata before or after it has been baked. This comes in handy if you're planning ahead for parties and holidays. See directions in the notes below on how to freeze properly.
Absolutely! If you're planning to serve this dish and need to make it ahead, it couldn't be easier. Just assemble and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Bake as directed in the recipe card.
Knorr Vegetable recipe mix (ad) is a dry seasoning blend that creates a delicious spinach dip. The flavor is outstanding and by far the best choice for this recipe. You can purchase it on Amazon or at your local grocery store and supermarket.
Storage and Freezing
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Frittatas can be frozen before or after baking. Wrap well with plastic wrap, then place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw out frozen food in the refrigerator overnight for best results.
How to Reheat a Frittata
The best way to reheat this dish is by covering it with aluminum foil and heating in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes until it is warm throughout.
Microwaving is also a possibility, but if you go this route, do it in 30 second intervals or it might make the eggs rubbery.
Spinach Dip Frittata also pairs well with other brunch recipes like the ones below...
More Brunch Recipes
- Herbed Bacon Gravy
- Cat Head Biscuits
- Bacon and Cheese Turnovers
- Pimento Cheese Grits
- Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
- Eggs Benedict with Asparagus (from in Search of Yummy-ness)
More Spinach Recipes
- Spinach Alfredo Pizza
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Mini Quiche Tarts
- Air Fryer Quiche
- Turkey Florentine Lasagna
Spinach Dip Frittata
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mix mayonnaise and sour cream with Knorr soup mix.
- Thaw and drain spinach by squeezing out water in a colander.
- Add onion and drained spinach to the sour cream mixture. Whisk until completely blended.
- Combine beaten eggs with spinach mixture. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Pour egg mixture into a greased baking dish, tart pans, or pie pan and bake at 350 degrees until middle is set. This could take anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes depending on your oven and size of dish.
- Cool frittata on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 8 slices.
- This recipe is large enough for a 13 x 9 casserole dish, a 12 inch cast iron skillet, or 2 pie plates or pans.
- This frittata can be made at least one day ahead. It will be ready when you are to pop in the oven for breakfast or brunch.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Frittatas can be frozen before or after baking. Wrap well with plastic wrap, then place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw out frozen food in the refrigerator overnight for best results.The best way to reheat this dish is by covering it with aluminum foil and heating in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes until it is warm throughout.
- See recipe post for detailed tips, photos and notes.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.