Look no further, because this is truly The Best Squash Casserole recipe you’ll ever taste. It has everything you love without the added preservatives, and the flavor is amazing!
Why This Recipe is Best
Southern Squash Casserole is a classic dish that has been around a long time. Most folks like to use cream of mushroom soup to make it, but I promise you’ll love this new version that has no MSG or artificial ingredients!
The addition of sour cream, along with mayonnaise and eggs, creates a custard consistency that is made even better by including two cheeses.
I know you’ve been making this dish for years, but y’all…this recipe is worth a second look. Folks tell me they’ll never go back to the old way of making it after trying this version!
This recipe is so easy to put together, it will be ready to pop in the oven in just 15 minutes!
- yellow squash, quartered and diced
- sweet onion, diced
- garlic salt
- sour cream
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- parmesan cheese, shredded
- butter, melted
- Ritz crackers, crushed
- french fried onions, crushed
Add squash, onion, and garlic salt to a skillet. Saute’ for 10 minutes over medium heat until tender. Take off heat.
Fold in sour cream, mayonnaise, cheddar and parmesan to the skillet. Stir well. Beat eggs and mix well with filling. Pour contents into a 13 X 9 inch casserole dish.
In a separate bowl, melt butter in microwave. Crush crackers and french fried onions in a large baggie, then mix with melted butter in bowl.
Sprinkle cracker mixture over squash casserole. Bake for 30 minutes until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Yellow squash is the best squash to use in a casserole because the seeds are tender and do not have to be removed. You can also eat the skin, which makes yellow squash a great choice for this recipe.
It sure can! Just make sure you freeze squash casserole after it’s been cooked. It freezes well for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
- Sautéing onions and squash in butter gives this dish its robust flavor.
- Adding a dash of garlic salt to the squash while sautéing adds depth.
- Use two cheeses for best results. Make sure one of them is parmesan.
- Feel free to substitute zucchini for squash if you wish, but the flavor will change.
More Casseroles to Love
Casseroles are a southern way of life! Check out these other amazing dishes that go well with just about anything!
- Vidalia Onion Casserole
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Loaded Hash Brown Casserole
- Skillet Green Bean Casserole
The Best Squash Casserole
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 large yellow squash quartered and diced
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt with parsley
- ¼ stick butter melted
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- ½ cup french fried onions crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in skillet. Add squash, onion, and garlic salt.
- Saute' for 10 minutes over medium heat until tender. Take off heat.
- Add sour cream, mayonnaise, cheddar and parmesan to the skillet. Stir well.
- Beat 2 eggs and mix well with filling.
- Pour contents of skillet into a large casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, melt butter in microwave.
- Crush crackers and french fried onions in a large baggie and mix with melted butter in bowl.
- Sprinkle cracker mixture over squash casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes until topping is golden brown.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!