It’s not the holidays unless you’re serving this flavorful Skillet Green Bean Casserole made without cream of mushroom soup. If you’re looking for the BEST and freshest green bean casserole recipe, this is IT!
What Makes This Recipe The Best?
I used to be a big fan of traditional green bean casseroles until I read the ingredients on the back of a can of cream of mushroom soup. Some manufacturers include monosodium glutamate, a controversial additive.
I’m not a canned soup hater, and I still use the chicken flavor in several dishes as long as it’s free of MSG. But, after making this homemade casserole without condensed soup, I’m a believer. Y’all…it’s so fresh, tasty, and creamy…I’ll never go back to the old way again.
Why You’ll Love It
This made-from-scratch recipe is truly the best Green Bean Casserole I’ve ever eaten. And, you’ll love the addition of soy, a secret ingredient that gives the mushroom sauce its extraordinary flavor.
It’s also nice to free up your oven during the holidays which is why I love making this recipe in my cast iron skillet. (ad) If you don’t have a skillet, feel free to bake it in a regular 9 x 13 inch dish.
Here’s a handy, dandy shopping list of ingredients you’ll need for this amazing casserole. Quantities are listed in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- sliced mushrooms
- sweet onion
- soy sauce
- dried parsley
- minced garlic (ad)
- heavy cream
- frozen french green beans (haricots verts)
- parmesan cheese
- french fried onions (ad)
How to Make Green Bean Casserole
There are 6 easy steps to follow when making this homemade recipe.
- Sauté mushrooms and onions in butter until tender.
- Add soy sauce, dried parsley and garlic. Continue to sauté.
- Stir in flour mixed with water, followed by milk and heavy cream.
- Add green beans and pepper. Stir gently.
- Top beans with parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle casserole with fried onions and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until onions are golden brown.
What are Haricots Verts?
Haricots Verts is the french name for fine green beans. They’re normally thinner and more tender than regular green beans, which allows a quicker cook time. The tenderness also makes them an excellent choice for casseroles and other dishes.
I use frozen Haricots Verts in this recipe, mainly so the beans don’t need to be blanched. If you decide to use fresh green beans, be sure to trim and blanch them in advance or they’ll be tough and need more time to cook.
Can I Use Canned Green Beans?
Grocery stores carry canned french green beans, but I don’t recommend using them. I promise you’ll be more pleased with the outcome if you use fresh or frozen french green beans. They cook in a snap, and the homemade taste is hard to beat!
Skillet Green Bean Casserole is best when served hot out of the oven while the fried onions are still crispy. Try not to cover this dish because the steam will cause the onions to lose their crispiness.
More Casseroles to Love
Southern casseroles are mouthwatering any time of year, but if you’re gearing up for the holidays, these recipes are a necessity on your table!
- The Best Squash Casserole
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Sweet Corn Casserole
- Loaded Hash Brown Casserole
- Vidalia Onion Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Poppyseed Chicken Casserole
It’s not the holidays unless you’re serving this flavorful Skillet Green Bean Casserole made without cream of mushroom soup. If you’re looking for the BEST green bean casserole recipe, this is IT!
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. pkg. sliced mushrooms
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic (ad)
- 1 Tbsp. flour mixed with 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- dash of coarse ground pepper
- 16 oz. pkg. frozen french green beans (haricots verts)
- 6 oz. parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 can (6 oz) french fried onions (ad)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté mushrooms and onions with butter in a cast iron skillet for 2 minutes, then add soy sauce and parsley.
- Sauté 3 more minutes, then add minced garlic.
- Mix a tablespoon of flour with 2 tablespoons of water until lumps are gone, then pour mixture into skillet and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk and stir until thickened over medium heat to form a roux.
- Turn heat to low and add heavy cream. Stir until creamy.
- Add a dash of pepper and fold in the green beans.
- Mix gently and top green beans with parmesan cheese.
- Finish by sprinkling fried onions on top.
- Bake casserole in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Serve green bean casserole fresh out of the oven while fried onions are still crispy.
This recipe doesn’t freeze well due to the cream, but you can make it several days in advance if you save the toppings until it’s ready to bake. Keep in the refrigerator until time to pop in the oven.
- Category: Casseroles
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: green bean casserole, haricot verts, holiday sides
Keep In Touch
Like what you see? Be sure to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!
Thanks for sharing this recipe and telling me what you think in the comment section below…