Want to make the best Broccoli Cheese Casserole you’ve ever tasted? Try something new! If you’re like me, you’ve been making the same old casserole with condensed soup for years. Well, it’s time to mix it up.
I’m not a condensed soup hater, and sometimes I still use it for certain recipes. However, I’ve learned there are other options out there, so I’ve started substituting sour cream for canned soup. The result is a creamier base including ingredients you can actually pronounce. Best of all, it tastes better than ever!
Let’s Make Broccoli Cheese Casserole!
There are basically two parts to this dish…the filling and the topping. Both are equally delicious. To start, blanch frozen broccoli by bringing it to a boil in a saucepan for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, beaten eggs, and cheddar cheese to make the filling. Add the drained broccoli to the bowl and mix gently. Pour contents into a casserole dish or fluted pie plate.
To make the topping, melt 1/4 stick of butter in the microwave and combine with a mixture of herb stuffing mix and crushed french fried onions. Sprinkle topping over filling and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole was my assigned dish to bring to every family get-together for many years. It’s still a staple at all of our gatherings. I wonder if anyone will notice the difference when they taste this year’s version?
There’s just something about the creamy cheese filling and crunchy topping that makes this casserole a favorite when the holidays roll around. It also goes great with other dishes like my Grilled Pork Tenderloin and Crunchy Parmesan Chicken!
I hope you enjoy my improved version of Broccoli Cheese Casserole. I have a hunch it will be your new favorite too.Print
Try Broccoli Cheese Casserole if you want to skip adding condensed soup. It has all of the cheesy flavor and none of the ingredients you can’t pronounce!
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise – I use Duke’s (ad)
- 8 oz. pkg. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blanch frozen broccoli in water by bringing to a boil in a saucepan for 2 minutes.
- Drain broccoli and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, beaten eggs, and cheddar cheese to make the filling.
- Add drained broccoli to the filling in the bowl and mix gently.
- Pour contents into a 6 X 9 casserole dish or fluted pie plate.
- To make the topping, melt butter in a dish in the microwave. Add herb seasoned stuffing crumbs and crushed french fried onions to butter. Mix well and sprinkle on top of filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until casserole is golden brown and bubbly.
Double the recipe for a 13 X 9 inch casserole dish.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli, broccoli and cheese, broccoli cheese casserole, thanksgiving, holidays, casserole, sides, comfort food