Poppy Seed Chicken is an old fashioned casserole made with only six ingredients. It's creamy, savory, and a favorite comfort food for weeknight dinners and Sunday suppers!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Here's a comfort food that screams for you to curl up with a good book and dig in. I don't know where Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole originated, but it's been around a long time. And sometimes, nothing else will do but a good old classic recipe.
If you've ever eaten Poppy Seed Chicken casserole, you've probably fixed it over and over again. If you've never tasted it, you're in for a real treat!
It's the type of casserole dish that causes cravings! Once you taste this chicken recipe, you'll have a hard time getting it off your mind. The sour cream really makes this dish. But the poppy seeds set it apart from any chicken casserole you've ever tasted.
I use cream of chicken soup in this recipe since the old school version is still the best in my book. There are different ways to make it, but I finally gave in and stuck with what works best.
I did change one big ingredient...the chicken. Well, I didn't really change the chicken, I just changed the TYPE of chicken.
I'm a big fan of using rotisserie chicken whenever possible. It cuts the cooking in half, and it also produces tender bites every single time. You can boil chicken breasts if you like, but it won't be as amazing....I promise.
- sour cream
- cream of chicken soup
- poppy seeds
- rotisserie chicken meat
- buttery round crackers
How to Make It
Mix sour cream and soup together in a large bowl. Add poppy seeds and chicken. Stir well and pour into a 13 X 9 inch casserole dish.
Crush the crackers in a plastic bag or blender and combine with melted butter. Sprinkle crackers over chicken mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees until crust is golden brown and casserole is bubbly.
There are only 6 ingredients in this dish, which makes it my number one go-to whenever I'm needing comfort food in a hurry. It also fits the criteria to make it one of my top 10 favorites...it's southern...it's sassy...and it's delicious.
More Casseroles to Love
- Vidalia Onion Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Loaded Hash Brown Casserole
- The Best Squash Casserole
Poppy Seed Chicken
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 16 oz. carton sour cream
- 2 10 oz. cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken meat chopped
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers
- ½ stick butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sour cream and soup together in a large bowl.
- Add poppy seeds and chicken. Stir well and pour into a 13 X 9 inch casserole dish.
- Crush the crackers in a plastic bag or blender and combine with melted butter.
- Sprinkle crackers over chicken mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and casserole is bubbly.
- Poppy Seed Chicken casserole tastes great with steamed rice and Roasted Broccoli.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.