In the beginning, there were casseroles…but the greatest of them has to be Poppy Seed Chicken!
Here’s a comfort food that screams for you to curl up with a good book and dig in. I don’t know where Poppy Seed Chicken came from, but it’s been around a long time. And sometimes, nothing else will do but a good ole classic recipe.
If you’ve ever eaten Poppy Seed Chicken casserole, you’ve probably tried it over and over again. If you’ve never tasted it, you’re in for a real treat!
I use cream of chicken soup in this recipe since the old school version is still the best in my book. I tried making it other ways, but finally gave in and stuck with what works best.
I did change one big ingredient…the chicken. Well, I didn’t really change the chicken, I just changed the kind of chicken. 🙂 I’m a big fan of using rotisserie chicken whenever possible. It cuts the cooking in half, and it also produces tender bites every single time. You can boil chicken breasts if you like, but it won’t be as amazing….I promise.
There are only 6 ingredients in this dish, which makes it my number one go-to whenever I’m needing comfort food in a hurry. It also fits the criteria to make it one of my top 10 favorites…
It’s southern…it’s sassy…and it’s delicious.Print
In the beginning there were casseroles, but the greatest of them all is Poppy Seed Chicken.
- 16 oz. carton sour cream
- 2 – 10 oz. cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken meat, chopped
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sour cream and soup together in a large bowl.
- Add poppy seeds and chicken. Stir well and pour into a 13 X 9 inch casserole dish.
- Crush the crackers in a plastic bag or blender and combine with melted butter.
- Sprinkle crackers over chicken mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and casserole is bubbly.
Poppy Seed Chicken casserole tastes great with steamed rice and Roasted Broccoli.
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: poppy seed chicken casserole
View this recipe and more on Meal Plan Monday!