Loaded Hash Brown Casserole tastes just like a loaded baked potato! It’s cheesy, bacon-filled goodness is perfect as a side or brunch entree.
What’s Special About This Dish?
If you’re looking for the best dish to take to a potluck dinner, look no further than Loaded Hash Brown Casserole. Once your family and friends taste this recipe, you’ll be asked to make it time and time again.
When I taught high school, I loved to make this special treat for my students at Christmas. Of course, they begged me to bring it more often, but the holidays are the perfect time to share its cheesy, bacon-filled goodness.
Since this dish tastes just like a loaded baked potato, it goes with just about anything you can conjure up like Grilled Pork Tenderloin or Crunchy Parmesan Chicken. But, my favorite way to serve it is with fresh fruit on weekend mornings as a brunch entree.
How to Make It
The easiest way to make this dish is by using your 12″ cast iron skillet. (ad) That way, everything can be made in the same pan. But, it’s also fine to use a large casserole dish or your favorite pottery.
Start by cooking 8 pieces of bacon in a skillet until crispy. Allow the bacon to drain on paper towels, then crumble into small pieces. After draining the grease from the skillet, add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, shredded cheddar, diced onion, and a dash of garlic salt and pepper.
Add southern style diced hash brown potatoes and half of the crumbled bacon. Stir well. Top casserole with shredded cheddar and crumbled bacon, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until golden brown.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I don’t know about you, but anything with potatoes, cheese, bacon and sour cream just screams comfort food. While this casserole is baking, your family will have a hard time not flocking to the kitchen to see what’s cooking.
You may have made this casserole before, but by increasing the amount of sour cream and adding bacon, I promise you’ll see it again in a whole new way.
Give my Loaded Hash Brown Casserole a whirl and let me know what you think by leaving a comment below!
Other Potato Dishes to Try
- Sheet Pan Taters
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Red Skin Potato Salad
- Steak & Potato Salad
- Sweet Potato Casserole
Loaded Hash Brown Casserole tastes just like a loaded baked potato! It’s cheesy, bacon-filled goodness is perfect to serve at your holiday brunch.
- 8 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve half of bacon crumbles for topping)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 24 oz. carton sour cream
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (reserve 1/4 cup)
- dash of garlic salt
- dash of ground black pepper
- 32 oz. frozen southern diced hash browns
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook 8 bacon in a 12″ cast iron skillet (ad) until crispy. Drain on paper towels, then crumble into small pieces. Reserve half of bacon for topping.
- In a cast iron skillet, add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion, cheddar cheese (reserve 1/4 cup), and a dash of garlic salt and pepper.
- Mix in half of the crumbled bacon and stir ingredients well.
- Stir in frozen hash brown potatoes until completely incorporated. Top with reserved cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until golden brown.
This recipe can be made several days ahead and kept in the refrigerator until time to bake.
- Category: Brunch, Side Dishes
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: hash browns, loaded hash brown casserole, cheese, onions, bacon, sour cream, diced hash browns, sides, skillet meals, brunch
Keep in Touch…
Like what you see? Be sure to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!
I’d love to hear what you think about this recipe. Please leave a comment and *STAR* rating below…