Homemade Southern Pimento Cheese is a staple in the south. It's enjoyed as a dip, spread, appetizer, and topping for just about anything you can conjure up!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Pimento cheese is a blend of creamy cheeses, diced pimentos, mayonnaise and various spices. Down south, we slather it on everything including burgers, celery sticks, fried green tomatoes, and buttery round crackers.
This recipe is quick, easy, and comes out perfectly every time. Most southerners have a favorite recipe for pimento cheese, but I like to keep mine as simple as possible.
When I want to jazz it up, I make Smoked Pimento-Jack Cheese, but this classic recipe is much easier. It's a great appetizer for game day, bridal showers, and parties of all shapes and sizes!
To make homemade Southern Pimento Cheese you'll need a block of extra sharp cheddar, cream cheese, mayonnaise, diced pimentos, onion powder, mustard powder, and garlic salt with parsley. (See recipe card for quantities.)
How to Make Pimento Cheese
Start by adding a block of cream cheese to a mixing bowl. To obtain the perfect consistency for this yummy spread, it's best to beat the cream cheese for at least 3 minutes on high before adding anything to it. Next, add mayonnaise to the cream cheese and mix until creamy.
Drain the pimentos, shred the cheese by hand, and add both to the mixing bowl. Mix on low for 1 minute, then add the spices and blend well.
In just 10 minutes, you're on your way to pimento cheese bliss!
Pimentos are actually a type of mild chili pepper. When diced and jarred in water, they take on a sweet flavor that is a perfect match for sharp cheddar cheese.
You can use pre-shredded cheese, but I don't recommend it. Packaged cheese contains stabilizers to keep the cheese from sticking together. You need a creamy consistency with no preservatives or caking. By shredding the cheese by hand, you'll get perfect results every time!
Southern Pimento Cheese will keep up to a week in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I like to store it in small Mason jars and seal it tightly between servings. You can also serve it straight from the jar if desired. These little jars make great gifts too!
You'll love how versatile this easy spread can be! Here are just a few serving ideas...
- create a party platter with pimento cheese, celery, crackers and crostini
- spread it on two slices of bread and make a grilled cheese sandwich
- top a burger or fried chicken sandwich with a scoop of pimento cheese
- layer it between fried green tomatoes drizzled with balsamic glaze
- build a snack board with cucumbers, carrots, and pimento cheese dip
- fold it into macaroni for a delicious pimento mac & cheese
- mix in some hot sauce and bake it for a hot and spicy dip
- pipe it into egg halves to make pimento cheese deviled eggs
- bake it into drop biscuits for a delicious tea party treat
- fill tiny mason jars (ad) with pimento cheese and give as hostess gifts
If you can dream it up, it's probably already been eaten with pimento cheese on top!
More Delicious Dips & Spreads
If you love this recipe, try my other dips and spreads that are absolutely YUM!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Pesto Goat Cheese with Raspberry Sauce
- Basil Pesto Sauce
- Triple Dip Snack Board
- Smoked Pimento-Jack Cheese
Sharing is caring! If you love my recipes, please share with friends! Quiche My Grits also submits recipes weekly to Weekend Potluck.