Our family has fond memories of my father-in-law enjoying the icing on his slice of Coconut Rum Cake during the holidays. He would always scoop the icing off the top, and eat the cake later.
When my son grew up, he started requesting a rum cake for his birthday (which happens to be on Christmas Eve). So, every year, I make his favorite cake and watch him scoop up the icing just like his Granddaddy did.
Coconut Rum Cake is not for the faint of heart. It could possibly cause you to be a little tipsy if you ate it on an empty tummy. So, it’s best to serve this cake to adults only…just to be safe. But, trust me, the adults will act like kids again when they take a bite of this cake. 🙂
Since this cake is made in a bundt pan, it’s fun to try different types of pans (ad) when you make this recipe. I’ve used every type there is over the years, and they all turn out beautifully. In addition, if you’re a coconut lover like my son, you’ll also flip over Pumpkin Coconut Bark and my Coconut Mojito.
How to Make Coconut Rum Cake
The magic starts by greasing and flouring a bundt pan, then crumbling a cup of chopped pecans into the bottom. In a mixing bowl, add dry cake mix and dry pudding mix, then mix together gently. Add rum, water, oil and eggs, then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in coconut and stir well.
Pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. While the cake is baking, make the hot rum glaze by boiling together butter, sugar, water, and coconut rum.
Once the cake comes out of the oven, things get interesting. Grab a fork and start poking holes in the top of the cake while it’s still in the pan. Next, pour half of the hot glaze onto the cake and allow it to soak up the icing completely.
Allow the cake to cool for one hour, then invert it onto a serving plate or cake stand. Tap on the bottom of the bundt pan with a dull knife several times and the cake should pop out on the plate. Luckily, the glaze helps make this happen!
Drizzle the other half of the glaze on top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides and onto the cake plate to create a lovely presentation.
Coconut Rum Cake is the perfect dessert for special occasions or celebrations. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream if desired. But, most of all, enjoy the memories you’ll make when serving this delicious dessert to your adult family and friends.Print
Coconut Rum Cake is a special dessert for holidays and celebrations. Enjoy with your adult family and friends…and let the fun begin!
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 box (18 oz) vanilla cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz) pkg. vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut rum
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup coconut rum
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan, then crumble nuts into bottom.
- In a mixing bowl, blend together dry cake mix (just use the dry mix without adding any ingredients listed on the box), dry vanilla pudding, coconut rum, water, oil and eggs.
- Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed, then stir in coconut.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove cake from oven, then use a fork to poke holes in top of cake.
- Immediately pour half of glaze onto cake and cool cake for 1 hour.
- Invert cake onto cake stand or serving plate. Tap bottom of bundt pan with knife a few times and cake should pop out.
- Drizzle the other half of the glaze on the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, then add sugar and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add rum, stirring well.
- Pour half of glaze over hot cake, then allow to cool. Pour other half of glaze over cake once it has been inverted onto a cake plate.
Sprinkle entire cake with more flaked coconut as a garnish if desired. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Coconut Rum Cake contains alcohol and is intended for adults age 21 or over.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coconut rum cake, rum cake, desserts, holidays, occasions, celebrations, birthday cake, cake