Two types of rich chocolate meet southern pecan pie in this delicious Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie recipe. It's the perfect dessert to serve on special occasions!
Why This Pie is Amazing
You've probably had classic pecan pie...and you've most likely tasted chocolate pie...but have you ever eaten them together in the same bite? The result is nothing short of amazing. In fact, Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie is one of my favorite desserts EVER.
The rich, dark, chocolatey flavor combined with the sweet bite of pecan pie is hard to put into words. You're just gonna have to trust me on this one...or trust all the folks I know who love pecans and chocolate mixed together!
You might think something this incredible would be complicated to make, but surprisingly...it's not. In fact, it's so easy, your kids can help you with the entire recipe. The only downside is having to wait until the pie sets to grab the first bite!
There are only 9 ingredients needed for this yummy pie, and you probably have most of them in your cupboard or refrigerator.
- pecan halves
- refrigerated pie crust
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- dark chocolate chips
- brown sugar
- light corn syrup
- vanilla extract
- salted butter
Quantities are listed in the recipe card.
1 - To make Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie, start by rolling out a refrigerated pie dough sheet until it fits up over the edge of a 9 inch pie plate. Press it into the plate and crimp the edges if desired.
2 - Add pecans to the unbaked pie crust shell. Turn them right side up which will create a prettier pie. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of pecans.
3 - In a separate bowl, add eggs, brown sugar, light corn syrup, vanilla, and melted butter. Whisk until blended. Pour contents of bowl over pecans and chocolate in pie plate.
How Do The Pecans Rise to the Top?
Magically, the pecans float in the filling and rise to the top after baking. But, to make the pie even more beautiful, randomly place a few extra pecans upright on top of the filling before placing in the oven. Do the same with a few extra chocolate chips and you'll be amazed at the final result.
Bake pie for 50 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Cover with a tent of aluminum foil half way through baking to avoid burning the crust.
Cool pie for one hour on a pie rack. After one hour, you may need to place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to help the middle set. The chocolate takes a while to firm up, but once it does, you'll get a perfect slice.
Is There a Substitute for Corn Syrup?
If you're opposed to using corn syrup in your recipes, here's a great way to make your own substitution.
If you'd like to indulge even further, add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream to this decadent pie. Or, whip heavy cream into a small dollop for just the right accent.
If you're looking for a classic southern pecan pie without chocolate added, try my Traditional Pecan Pie recipe.
If you like this recipe, try my other tasty chocolate desserts...
- Chocolate Brioche Bread Pudding
- Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
- Beryl's Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Bark
Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust unbaked
- 2 cups pecan halves plus a few extra for top of pie
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips plus a few extra for top of pie
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With a rolling pin, roll the pie crust to fit a 9" deep dish pie plate. Press it into the plate and crimp the edges if desired.
- Add pecans to the unbaked pie crust shell. Make sure they are right side up which will make a prettier pie. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of pecans.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs, brown sugar, light corn syrup, vanilla, and melted butter. Whisk until blended.
- Pour contents of bowl over pecans and chocolate in pie plate.
- Pecans will rise to the top, but use a few extra to randomly place on top of filling. Do the same with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake pie for 50 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Cool pie for one hour on a pie rack before serving. After one hour, you may need to place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to help the middle set.
- Cover pie with a loose sheet of aluminum foil half way through baking to avoid burning the crust.
- View the Google Web Story for Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie!
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.