Old Fashioned Chocolate Sheet Cake is all about the icing. It’s made with real butter, cocoa, milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
Plus, this cake is deliciously dense and luscious all at the same time. It’s a little slice of heaven on a plate!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I never knew Miss Beryl, but she made the best chocolate sheet cake around. Her daughter, Joann, shared her vintage recipe with me. After I took one bite, I knew I had to share it with you. I know this Old Fashioned Chocolate Sheet Cake will be one of your favorite desserts too!
This chocolate cake is so rich and decadent you won’t be able to stop eating it! Every bite will remind you of a cake your Grandma made back in the day.
Did I say it was made with lots of chocolate? Enough said.
How to Make Chocolate Cake
STEP 1: In a large mixing bowl, add 2 cups sugar, 2 cups self-rising flour, and 4 Tbsp. cocoa. Mix together and set aside.
STEP 2: In a saucepan, add 1 stick of butter, 1 cup oil, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil for 1 minute, then pour over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. Beat dry and wet ingredients together for 1 minute on medium speed with a mixer.
STEP 3: In a separate bowl, whisk 2 eggs and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Pour into the mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients and beat for 1 minute on medium speed until everything is combined.
STEP 4: Pour batter into a greased and floured 13 X 9 inch sheet pan or dish. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
How to Make Chocolate Icing
STEP 1: In a separate saucepan, mix 1 stick butter, 3 Tbsp. cocoa and 4 Tbsp. milk together. Boil for 1 minute. Mix well and remove from heat.
STEP 2: Add 1 lb. powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and blend with a mixer until smooth. If icing is too thick, add tiny teaspoons of milk until it is shiny. Taste the icing and if it’s too grainy, blend it with a mixer until it becomes smooth and creamy.
STEP 3: Pour icing over cake starting at the edges and working towards the middle until it covers the top of cake. Allow icing to cool before serving.
What if I Can’t Find Self-Rising Flour?
Self-rising flour is a staple in the south, but if you can’t find it in your location, here’s how you make it! Just substitute the following ingredients for self rising flour in this recipe.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
More Chocolate Desserts
Do you love chocolate as much as I do? If so, try these other chocolate goodies from my recipe box…
- Chocolate Strawberry Tart
- Salted Chocolate Toffee Bars
- Chocolate Raspberry Mousse
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Bark
- Mocha Latte Icebox Pie
- Raspberry Mocha Twists
Old Fashioned Chocolate Sheet Cake
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 stick butter
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 1 pound box powdered sugar 4 cups
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add sugar, flour and cocoa. Stir and set aside.
- Boil butter, oil and water in a saucepan for 1 minute. Pour contents into dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Blend with a mixer on medium speed for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk together. Pour into contents in mixing bowl.
- Mix batter for 1 minute on medium speed until combined.
- Pour batter into a 13 X 9 inch greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- In a saucepan, mix melted butter, cocoa and milk together. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Blend with a mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth.
- If icing is too thick, add tiny amounts of milk until icing is shiny.
- Taste icing. If it is grainy, blend with a mixer on high speed until smooth.
- Pour icing over hot cake, starting at edges and working towards middle until cake is completely covered.
- Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!