I always laughed when my Kindergarten students said “Pasghetti” as they placed their orders in the cafeteria. 🙂 Now, I find myself doing the same thing.
What goes around, comes around as they say.
There’s nothing funny about this skillet meal. It’s all business. I started making it one night when my hubby told me he liked my spaghetti better the next day. What? The next day? “Yes, honey…the next day when you put the leftovers in the oven and bake it with cheese.”
That’s when I decided not to wait until the next day to add cheese…and to throw it all together in my cast iron skillet the first time around. Eureka!
Cheesy Skillet Spaghetti is one of those one pan deals, and that’s the best kind when you’re in charge of clean-up….which is another reason why my hubby likes this meal.
Here’s a flashback…Momma used to put celery in her spaghetti. Oh, yes she did! She also used tomato soup for the sauce because my Dad liked it that way. I couldn’t wait until I was on my own so I could make it like my friend’s moms did…with certified Italian sauce out of a jar. (Sorry, Momma).
I’m still making spaghetti with sauce out of a jar, ’cause I like it that way. 🙂
I like to use ground turkey to lighten things up, so I start by browning the turkey in the skillet with a few seasonings. Next, I add spaghetti sauce straight out of the jar. Then, I break up the pasta and boil it for a few minutes until it’s al dente. It gets thrown in the skillet with everything else.
The fun part starts when sharp cheddar cheese gets stirred into the mix. Cheese has a way of taking everything to the next level. Of course, I can’t stop there. I have to add a sprinkle of mozzarella (just because). I top it with some dried parsley, and dinner is ready!
How do you like your Pasghetti? Please share by leaving a comment below!Print
Cheesy Skillet Spaghetti is a one-pan deal with prep and easy clean up happening in the same skillet. It’s also cheesy, savory, and oh, so good!
- 8 oz. broken spaghetti pasta, cooked & drained
- 1 lb. ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 jar (24 oz) spaghetti sauce (your favorite)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- Boil the pasta until al dente, drain and set aside.
- Brown meat in a large cast iron skillet. (Mine is 12″).
- Add Italian seasoning and stir until completely browned.
- Drain grease from meat if desired, and return meat to skillet.
- Add a jar of spaghetti sauce and mix well.
- Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring often to avoid scorching.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add drained pasta and cheddar cheese.
- Mix well and cook for 2 to 5 minutes until cheddar cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top.
- Sprinkle parsley over entire dish.
- Serve warm with crusty garlic bread and a salad.
Cheesy Skillet Spaghetti goes great with Rainbow Salad!
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: spaghetti, cheese, skillet, spaghetti sauce, pasta, cheesy spaghetti, skillet meals
See Cheesy Skillet Spaghetti featured on Meal Plan Monday!