Inspired by the famous TikTok Pasta recipe, Baked Feta and Tomato Pasta is everything they said it would be. Creamy, rich feta cheese is baked to perfection with tomatoes and spices that's simply divine when mixed with penne pasta!
Why This Recipe Is Amazing
Baked Feta and Tomato Pasta has been trending on the internet for a while now, so I finally decided to give it a whirl. Oh. My. Heavens!
No wonder this easy recipe went viral on TikTok! It's creamy, rich, and over-the-top delicious! The tanginess of the feta combined with roasted tomatoes, basil and garlic will put you in a food coma. Invite your friends over because this sauce is company-worthy!
Uunifetapasta was originally developed by Jenni Häyrinen, a Finnish blogger, whose recipe went viral in 2019 and caused Finland's markets to run out of feta cheese! I've adapted it by adding Italian seasoning and whole garlic cloves to be baked with the tomatoes instead of afterwards.
The original version is now a classic, but like most folks, I tend to change things to suit my family's taste. Feel free to add or take away anything you'd like. Either way, this will be one of your new, favorite meals to serve every week!
You'll only need a handful of ingredients for this dish, but don't skimp on quality. Buy the best block of full-fat feta you can find, and use extra virgin olive oil. Trust me, it makes a difference.
- block of feta cheese - purchase the full-fat version for best results
- cherry tomatoes - you'll need two pints of cocktail tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil - the best you can find
- garlic - use whole cloves to roast in the oven
- Italian seasoning - kicks up the flavor when sprinkled over the cheese
- dried garlic - optional seasoning to sprinkle on top
- red pepper flakes - just a few adds a warm touch
- penne pasta - can be any type, but only use 8 ounces
- fresh basil - cut in slivers to add after baking
The original recipe was designed to make things as easy as possible. Basically, you simply place a block of feta in the middle of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, top it with seasonings, and surround it with cherry tomatoes drizzled with olive oil.
You could stop right there and everything would turn out perfectly.
But, if you want to add a little sass to this dish, pop in a few whole garlic cloves to roast with the tomatoes. The aroma and incredible flavor is worth the effort.
Bake everything at 400 degrees for 40 minutes until the cheese is melting and the tomatoes are bursting open. While it's baking, boil the pasta and drain.
Once the feta and tomatoes come out of the oven, break the tomatoes open with a spoon and stir with the cheese until a creamy sauce forms. Add drained pasta to the dish and you're almost there.
Mix it all together and sprinkle fresh basil on top.
Yes, if you can't find a block of feta, the crumbles will work if you pile them up in the middle of the tomatoes. Make sure you purchase the full fat version or the crumbles may not melt.
If you're not a feta lover, give goat cheese or cream cheese a try. Those two cheeses melt easily and would work well in this recipe.
Sure! This is one of those recipes that works well with any type of pasta. Choose noodles, tubes or unusual shapes with ridges that will soak up the sauce. Just be sure to only use 8 ounces. Too much pasta will dry out this dish.
The original recipe uses fresh chile peppers, which would definitely add some spice. But, you could also add more red pepper flakes to bring the heat.
Variations and Tips
- Add protein if you wish. Grilled chicken or fish is delicious when served on top.
- Throw in more veggies and cheese. Asparagus, spinach and zucchini work great with this dish, as well as extra cheese like parmesan or mozzarella.
- Serve the sauce over a baked potato! To be honest, I could eat this sauce over pretty much anything. It's that good!
- Make it Keto-friendly! Omit the pasta altogether and serve the tomatoes and feta over a bed of fresh spinach or zucchini noodles.
- Since this recipe has gone viral on TikTok, blocks of feta cheese are getting hard to find in the US. If you see one, grab it before it's gone!
Keep it simple. Serve Baked Feta and Tomato Pasta with an easy mixed green salad and garlic bread for a classic Italian meal.
This dish can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator up to three days. Stir in a little milk to loosen up the sauce after it has been in the refrigerator.
Reheat the pasta in a skillet on the stove over medium heat for best results.
More Pasta Recipes
You'll be hard-pressed to find a pasta dish as easy and popular as TikTok Pasta. But, be sure to try my pasta recipes that also have rave reviews!
- Baked Meatballs with Feta
- Cheesy Skillet Spaghetti
- Easy Pesto Pasta
- Lemon Chicken Spaghetti
- Sundried Tomato Orzo Pasta