Portobello Chicken Lasagna
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Portobello Chicken Lasagna is a creamy pasta dish made with mushrooms, chicken, two cheeses and lasagna noodles. It's the perfect pasta recipe for date nights or weekend celebrations!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's creamy...and savory...and bursting with cheesy deliciousness. (Is that a word?) Anyway, you get the picture.
- Serve Portobello Chicken Lasagna with Rainbow Salad and crusty bread. Date night will never be the same again.
- It's also the perfect portobello mushroom pasta for any night of the week!
What Type of Mushrooms Should I Use?
Portobello mushrooms are meatier in texture and hold up well in the creamy alfredo sauce that binds this lasagna together. You could use another type, but trust me on this...baby bella mushrooms are worth the difference.
It's also important to grate the parmesan by hand in this recipe or your sauce will be grainy (and who wants that?) So, it takes a little effort on the back end, but you'll be glad you took this extra step.
Start by collecting all of your ingredients. (See recipe card for quantities.)
You'll need butter or olive oil, portobello mushrooms, onion, teriyaki sauce, (ad) rotisserie chicken, heavy cream, dried Italian seasoning, minced garlic, black pepper, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and no-boil lasagna noodles. (ad)
How to Make Portobello Chicken Lasagna
Melt a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet, then add diced onions and sliced portobellos. Sauté for 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Add ¼ cup teriyaki sauce (ad) and 2 cups of cubed rotisserie chicken. Stir it up, then set aside and keep warm.
In a separate large skillet or pot, melt butter over medium low heat. Add cream and allow to simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, pepper and Italian seasoning, cooking for another minute or two. Add parmesan cheese (shredded by hand) and stir until creamy.
Now, the magic begins. Combine the alfredo sauce with the chicken mixture to make the filling. Spoon a little of the filling in an 11 X 8 inch casserole dish, then sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top.
If you've never used no-boil lasagna noodles, you're in for a treat. You just pop them in a dish and they miraculously cook in the sauce. Genius.
Cover the mixture with slices of lasagna noodles, (ad) then repeat the process at least two more times until you end with mozzarella cheese on top. Yum! Portobello Chicken Lasagna!
Sprinkle the entire dish with dried parsley and bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
You can, but portobello mushrooms are perfect for this recipe. They're hearty enough to hold up to the sauce and baking process.
Yes, if you prefer not to use teriyaki sauce, you can use white wine instead. The flavor will be a little different, but it will still taste delicious.
Absolutely! Minced garlic and fresh parsley or fresh thyme tastes amazing in this dish.
More Pasta to Love
Portobello Chicken Lasagna
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce ad
- 2 cups cooked rotisserie chicken diced
- ½ stick butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- dash of cracked black pepper
- 6 oz. parmesan cheese shredded by hand
- 1 lb. no-boil lasagna noodles ad
- 16 oz. package mozzarella shredded
- sprinkle of dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet. (ad)
- Add mushrooms and onion and sauté for 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Add teriyaki sauce (ad) and chicken to skillet. Stir and set aside (keep warm).
- In a separate skillet or pot, melt ½ stick butter and pour in heavy cream.
- Simmer over medium low heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in Italian seasoning, garlic and pepper. Cook for another minute.
- Add shredded parmesan cheese and stir until creamy.
- Combine sauce with chicken mixture to make filling.
- Spoon a little filling into a 11 X 8 inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle mozzarella on top.
- Cover the mixture with uncooked lasagna noodles. (ad)
- Repeat process 2 more times until ending with mozzarella cheese on top.
- Sprinkle entire dish with dried parsley.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!
What a neat idea! Lasagna with chicken and mushrooms sounds so good.
Let me know how it turns out! 🙂
I can't wait to make this! Always looking for an alternative to regular red sauce lasagna. This looks too good.