Creamy Corn Chowder is a soup to love. Even the name says it all. Cream, corn and potatoes are the base of this delicious soup you won’t be able to stop eating!
Why You’ll Love This Soup
I’ve always loved to make soup…especially the creamy type that turns out to be a hearty chowder. Creamy Corn Chowder makes the house smell like Granny’s been putting up corn all day, and the flavor is out of this world!
If you only try making one new soup this year, let this one be the keeper. It starts with fresh corn cut off the cob, and ends with heavy cream. Need I say more?
Okay, I will.
Creamy Corn Chowder is also packed with other great veggies like red-skin potatoes, baby carrots, onions and sweet peppers. I added cilantro to the mix because we love it around here. But, if you’re not a cilantro person, feel free to leave it out.
Either way, you’re gonna make this soup over and over again. I promise.
How to Make It
Like all good soup recipes, there’s some chopping to be done, but once it’s finished, it comes together quickly. All of the ingredients in this soup are fresh, which makes the end result absolutely delicious.
Start by cutting the corn off of 4 cobs, then chop up some mixed sweet peppers, onions, carrots, and cilantro. Add butter to a large dutch oven, (ad) then sauté the veggies until onions are tender.
Next, dice 6 red-skin potatoes (skins and all) and put them in the dutch oven (ad) along with the veggies. Add a tablespoon of flour and cook over medium heat for a minute. Mix in a carton of chicken broth, garlic powder and pepper.
Cover, and cook the chowder over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Stir in heavy cream, and prepared to be dazzled!
At this point, it will take everything you’ve got to keep from slurping this soup before you get it on the table. If you make it through the temptation, ladle it into bowls and garnish with cilantro.
I like to serve this soup with big slices of Easy Southern Cornbread slathered in butter. Now, that’s some good eating.
More Soups to Love
Curl up with a great book and slurp to your heart’s content with these great soup recipes…
- Bacon Black Bean Soup
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
- Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Chowder (with how-to video)
Creamy Corn Chowder makes the house smell like Granny’s been putting up corn all day, and the flavor is out of this world!
- 4 cobs of fresh corn, shucked
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed sweet peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, chopped
- 6 medium red-skin potatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 32 oz. carton chicken broth
- dash of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Cut corn off of 4 cobs with a sharp knife.
- In a large dutch oven, (ad) melt butter.
- Add corn, onion, cilantro, peppers, and carrots to the butter and saute’ until tender.
- Add red-skin potatoes and stir.
- Sprinkle flour in pan and cook on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, garlic powder and pepper, then bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Dutch Oven
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: creamy corn chowder, corn, sweet corn, soups, chowder, potatoes, onions, corn chowder
Also, if you’d like FREE RECIPES delivered to your inbox, consider signing up for my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!
See this recipe and much more on Meal Plan Monday!