There are many types of broccoli soup out there, but this one is my favorite. In fact, it’s one of the soups I remember most from childhood. Broccoli Cheese Chowder is loaded with cheese, potatoes, cream…and yummy broccoli. It puts the word ‘comfort‘ in comfort food.
As soon as the weather starts changing from summer to fall, I dream of making Broccoli Cheese Chowder. I’m not a fan of big pieces of broccoli in my soup, and since I like everything to cook quickly, this recipe is made with frozen chopped broccoli. I’ve made it with fresh broccoli too, but frozen works well in this dish.
LET’S GET COOKING!
You’ll love how fast Broccoli Cheese Chowder comes together. Simply gather your ingredients first, and you’ll be slurping soup in no time! For this recipe, you’ll need butter, onion, white potatoes, frozen broccoli, carrot, chicken broth, cornstarch, cheddar cheese and heavy cream.
Pull out your dutch oven or soup pot, and begin by sautéing chopped onion in butter over medium heat. Add diced potatoes, then pour chicken broth over potatoes. Add a little pepper, frozen broccoli, and a shredded carrot. Cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes until veggies are tender.
Once the veggies are soft, cut the heat down and mix cornstarch with water to make a paste. Add the cornstarch, cook for a few minutes, then add shredded cheddar and stir until fully melted. Take soup off heat. Finish by adding heavy cream and stir well. Do not allow soup to boil or it may curdle.
Garnish Broccoli Cheese Chowder with extra cheese, and serve with a cake of cornbread for an awesome meal your family will love!Print
Broccoli Cheese Chowder puts the word ‘comfort’ in comfort food. This delicious soup is loaded with cheese, potatoes, cream…and yummy broccoli.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 32 oz. carton chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 16 oz. frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp. water until smooth
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded (reserve some for garnish)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and sauté until tender. Add potatoes and stir.
- Add chicken broth with pepper and bring soup to a boil.
- Add broccoli and carrot. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 30 minutes on medium low heat until veggies are tender.
- Mix cornstarch with water until smooth. Add to soup and stir well.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Cut off heat and add heavy cream to soup. Stir well.
- Serve piping hot and garnish with extra shredded cheese.
Serve Broccoli Cheese Chowder with a cake of cornbread for an amazing meal!
After adding cream, do not allow soup to boil or it may curdle.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Dutch Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli cheese soup, soup, broccoli cheese chowder, chowder, cream, cheese, potatoes, broccoli, soups