Broccoli Cheese Chowder puts the word ‘comfort’ in comfort food. This delicious soup is loaded with cheese, potatoes, cream, and yummy broccoli.
Be sure to watch my video in the recipe card that shows you exactly how to make it!
What’s Special About This Recipe?
There are many types of broccoli soup out there, but this one is my favorite. In fact, it’s one of the soups I remember most from childhood.
As soon as the weather starts changing from summer to fall, I dream of making Broccoli Cheese Chowder.
I’m not a fan of big pieces of broccoli in my soup, and since I like everything to cook quickly, this recipe is made with frozen chopped broccoli. I’ve made it with fresh broccoli too, but frozen works well in this dish.
Ingredients You’ll Need
You’ll love how fast Broccoli Cheese Chowder comes together. Simply gather your ingredients first, and you’ll be slurping soup in no time!
For this recipe, you’ll need butter, onion, white potatoes, frozen broccoli, carrot, chicken or vegetable broth, cornstarch, cheddar cheese and heavy cream.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Chowder
Pull out your dutch oven (ad) or soup pot, and begin by sautéing chopped onion in butter over medium heat. Grate a carrot and add it to the pot. Next, add 32 oz. of chicken or vegetable broth. Stir in the broccoli and potatoes and cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes until veggies are tender.
Once the veggies are soft, cut the heat down and stir in the shredded cheddar. Mix cornstarch with water to make a paste. Add the cornstarch, cook for a few minutes and stir well.
Take soup off heat. Finish by adding heavy cream and stir well. Finally, add 1/4 teaspoon of pepper seasoning. Do not allow soup to boil or it may curdle.
Garnish Broccoli Cheese Chowder with extra cheese or grated carrot, and serve with a cake of Southern Cornbread for an awesome meal your family will love!
More Soups to Love
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
- Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Shortcut Chicken and Dumplings
Be sure to watch the VIDEO below that shows you STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS on how to make this delicious soup!Print
Broccoli Cheese Chowder puts the word ‘comfort’ in comfort food. This delicious soup is loaded with cheese, potatoes, cream…and yummy broccoli.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 32 oz. carton chicken or vegetable broth
- 16 oz. frozen chopped broccoli
- 3 white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp. water until smooth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. pepper seasoning
- In a dutch oven, (ad) melt butter over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and sauté until tender.
- Add carrots and stir.
- Add chicken or vegetable broth and bring soup to a boil.
- Add broccoli and potatoes. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 30 minutes on medium low heat until veggies are tender.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix cornstarch with water until smooth. Add to soup and stir well.
- Cut off heat and add heavy cream to soup. Stir well.
- Finish by adding a dash of pepper seasoning blend.
- Serve piping hot and garnish with extra shredded cheese.
Use vegetable broth instead of chicken to make this soup vegetarian.
If soup appears to be too thick, add a little water or milk.
Serve Broccoli Cheese Chowder with a cake of cornbread for an amazing meal!
After adding cream, do not allow soup to boil or it may curdle.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Dutch Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli cheese soup, soup, broccoli cheese chowder, chowder, cream, cheese, potatoes, broccoli, soups
Keep in Touch
Like what you see? Be sure to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!
Check out my best dishes each week on Meal Plan Monday and The Weekend Potluck.
Sharing is Caring! Thanks for sharing this recipe and telling me what you think in the comment section below…