Hungarian Mushroom Soup is made with two types of mushrooms, as well as two types of cream. It's rich, velvety, and a vegetarian soup you'll never forget.
What's Special About This Soup?
I adore Hungarian Mushroom Soup. My friend made it for me one day when I was under the weather and I got better right way.
While it may seem like a lengthy recipe, it comes together quickly after collecting the ingredients. Hungarian Mushroom Soup is worth the love and care you put into it, because it will probably cure whatever ails you. If not, it will definitely help.
Besides all that, it's addictively delicious. If you're a mushroom lover, this savory soup will be your new favorite meal. There's just something about those tasty little morsels in a rich, creamy sauce that makes me swoon.
How To Make It
Get out your pretty dutch oven (ad) and melt some butter while you chop the onions and grate the carrot. Sauté them for a few minutes, then add garlic, soy sauce and mushrooms. Sauté a little longer, then add beef or vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
At this point, you can put your feet up while the soup simmers.
Take the soup off the heat, then whisk in a mixture of flour, paprika, (ad) dill weed, pepper, and half & half. Slowly bring soup up to medium heat without allowing it to boil. Take off the heat again and add the final ingredients of sour cream, lemon juice, and parsley.
Give it a stir and serve in big bowls alongside a mixed green salad and crusty bread. Lord, have mercy! I'm telling ya...this Hungarian soup will knock your socks off.
More Soups to Love
- Broccoli Cheese Chowder
- Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 2 Tbsp. butter melted
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 tsp. garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 8 oz. button mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz. portobello mushrooms sliced
- 32 oz. carton beef or vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. paprika ad
- 1 Tbsp. dried dill weed
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 8 oz. sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- In a dutch oven, (ad) melt butter and sauté onions and carrots over low heat until tender.
- Add garlic, soy sauce and mushrooms.
- Continue to sauté about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef or vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir frequently.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, paprika, (ad) dill weed, and pepper.
- Whisk dry ingredients with half & half until smooth.
- Take soup off of heat.
- Whisk milk mixture into soup gradually.
- Bring back to medium heat slowly. Do not allow to boil or cream will curdle.
- Take soup off heat and stir in lemon juice, sour cream and parsley.
- Serve with a mixed green salad and crusty bread.
- Use vegetable broth instead of beef to make this soup vegetarian.
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup is featured in 40 Healthy Dutch Oven Recipes by the Oregon Dietician.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!