I adore Hungarian Mushroom Soup. My friend, Jeanne, made it for me one day when I was under the weather and I got better right way. Here’s my version, which includes two different kinds of fresh mushrooms, as well as two different types of cream. Oh…yeah.
While it may seem like a lengthy recipe, it comes together quickly after collecting the ingredients. Hungarian Mushroom Soup is worth the love and care you put into it, because it will probably cure whatever ails you. If not, it will definitely help. It’s perfect anytime of year, but especially on a cold and rainy day.
Besides all that, it’s addictively delicious. If you’re a mushroom lover, it will be your new favorite soup. There’s just something about those tasty little morsels in a rich, creamy sauce that makes me swoon. 🙂
Get out your pretty dutch oven and melt some butter while you chop the onions and grate the carrot. Sauté them for a few minutes, then add garlic, soy sauce and mushrooms. Sauté a little longer, then add beef broth and bring to a boil.
At this point, you can put your feet up while the soup simmers.
Take the soup off the heat, then whisk in a mixture of flour, paprika, dill weed, pepper, and half & half. Slowly bring soup up to medium heat without allowing it to boil. Take off the heat again and add the final ingredients of sour cream, lemon juice, and parsley.
Give it a stir and serve in big bowls alongside a mixed green salad and crusty bread. Lord, have mercy! I’m telling ya…this soup will knock your socks off. 🙂
I can’t wait to hear what you think. Be sure to leave me a comment and let me know how it goes ’cause I love hearing about your cooking adventures!Print
Hungarian Mushroom Soup is worth the love and care you put into it, and will probably cure whatever ails you. It’s perfect anytime of year, but especially on a cold and rainy day.
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz. portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 32 oz. carton beef broth
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. dried dill weed
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a dutch oven, melt butter and sauté onions and carrots over low heat until tender.
- Add garlic, soy sauce and mushrooms.
- Continue to sauté about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir frequently.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, paprika, dill weed, and pepper.
- Whisk dry ingredients with half & half until smooth.
- Take soup off of heat.
- Whisk milk mixture into soup gradually.
- Bring back to medium heat slowly. Do not allow to boil or cream will curdle.
- Take soup off heat and stir in lemon juice, sour cream and parsley.
- Serve with a mixed green salad and crusty bread.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Dutch Oven
Keywords: hungarian mushroom soup, mushrooms, onions, parsley, sour cream, soup, creamy mushroom soup
View Hungarian Mushroom Soup on Meal Plan Monday!