Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup will warm your soul on a cold winter day. It’s made with rotisserie chicken, rice, green peas, carrots, onions and cream.
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
It’s tough to beat a heaping bowl full of Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup. Add a slice of cast iron cornbread, and you’ve got a southern meal!
Every time I make this soup, I add something new, so it’s difficult to record the exact recipe. It’s one of those things I make by guess and by golly, and it always turns out better than I expected.
You’ll love how easy it comes together, and how satisfying it is by itself, or served with a small salad.
Why This Soup is Special
Granny Tag was a master soup maker. She worked as a cook at a large church and I loved to watch her pull those shiny pots off the shelf ’cause I knew what was coming next.
When Granny made soup, it was a major event. My job was to go to the pantry and fetch the ingredients. Oh, how I would get excited every time she gave me a long list! That walk-in pantry was the coolest place I had been in my young life. It was probably the size of a tiny bedroom, but to me, it seemed ginormous. Every little nook held the possibility of a new recipe. Pure joy.
Creamy Chicken and Rice was one of Granny’s favorites, and it’s still one of mine. I crave this soup on rainy days, or if I’m feeling a little under the weather. It’s also a great dish to take to neighbors and friends because everyone loves a piping hot bowl of goodness!
- chicken broth
- rotisserie chicken
- long grain wild or white rice
- frozen green peas
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- half & half
- salt to taste
How to Make It
In a large dutch oven, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add chicken, uncooked rice, peas, carrots, onion, pepper and garlic powder. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
Mix cornstarch with water to make a paste. Take soup off of heat and add cornstarch mixture. Stir until soup thickens. Add half & half and stir well. Add salt to taste.
Serve Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup piping hot. If you make a batch, be sure to leave a comment below telling me how it turned out!
More Soups to Love
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Chowder (with how-to video)
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Bacon Black Bean Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 32 oz. carton chicken broth
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken diced
- 6 oz pkg. long grain wild or white rice uncooked
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- ½ cup carrots diced
- 1 small onion diced
- ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
- dash of garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 3 Tbsp. water to make a thin paste
- 1 cup half & half
- salt to taste it may be salty enough if you use regular chicken broth
- In a large dutch oven, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Add chicken, uncooked rice, peas, carrots, onion, pepper and garlic powder.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix cornstarch with water to make a paste.
- Take soup off of heat and add cornstarch mixture. Stir until soup thickens.
- Add half & half and stir well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve piping hot.
- Add a cup of water during the cooking process if the rice thickens the chicken broth too much.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!
See this recipe on Table For Seven’s Easy Dinner Dishes made from 5 Pantry Staples!