Bacon Black Bean Soup is rich, hearty, and downright delicious. Top it with bacon, cheese, sour cream, and peppers and you've got the perfect meal!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
All good things in life start and end with bacon. Bacon Black Bean Soup is no exception. In fact, I think my taste buds flipped out the first time I created this comforting dish. It's definitely all about the toppings!
In addition to black beans and tomatoes, there's cheese on top, sour cream, diced peppers, onions, and of course...bacon. It's like an explosion starts the minute you take a bite and never stops until it's in your belly. Yum to the YUM!
How to Make Bacon Black Bean Soup
Start by cutting six slices of bacon into pieces and browning it in a dutch oven. If you don't have a dutch oven, you can use a cast iron skillet (ad) or soup pot.
Cook the bacon until it's crispy, then remove and drain on paper towels. Add diced onion and colorful peppers to the bacon grease left in the dutch oven. Toss in some minced garlic. Sauté until tender, then add a Tbsp. of flour and cook for 2 minutes.
Add a can of diced tomatoes, cumin and chipotle seasoning to the mix. Stir well over medium heat. Mix in black beans and beef broth. Cover and continue to cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When the soup has been cooking a while, add 16 oz. of tomato soup and stir. I use Trader Joe's Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup (ad) in many of my recipes. It adds amazing flavor and no preservatives. Allow the soup to simmer for a few more minutes, then it's ready to scoop into bowls!
The final step is the fun part. Add a big dollop of sour cream to each bowl of soup, followed by shredded cheese, colorful peppers, diced onions and crumbled bacon. Man. Oh MAN. OH MY DEAR MAN!
Sorry, I lost control. But, Bacon Black Bean Soup really is that good.
More Soups to Love
- Broccoli Cheese Chowder (with video)
- Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup
- All the Love Potato Soup
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
Bacon Black Bean Soup
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 6 slices bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 sweet onion diced (reserve ¼ cup for topping)
- 1 cup of mixed green red, yellow and orange peppers, diced (reserve ¼ cup for topping)
- 1 tsp. garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 can 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. chipotle or chili powder
- 16 oz. beef broth
- 3 cans 15 oz black beans with liquid included
- 16 oz. tomato soup. I use Trader Joe's Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper ad
- Divide ingredients below to garnish soup in each bowl.
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- reserved peppers from above
- reserved onions from above
- bacon pieces from above crumbled
- In a dutch oven, (ad) cook bacon pieces until crispy.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain.
- In the bacon drippings, sauté onion and peppers until tender. Add garlic and stir.
- Add diced tomatoes and simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add cumin and chipotle or chili powder.
- Combine 1 Tbsp. flour with mixture and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Mix in beef broth and black beans with liquid in the cans.
- Simmer on medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add tomato soup and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, cheddar cheese, peppers, onions and bacon crumbles.
- Prep will go faster if you purchase pre-diced onions and peppers at the grocery store.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.