My hubby loves barbecue sauce, so it’s always the number one condiment in our house. That’s why BBQ Chicken Patties are in the Top 10 of our favorite family meals. This dish is simple, savory, and a real crowd-pleaser…plus, it’s all about the BBQ. 🙂
When I’m in a hurry to get dinner on the table, I like recipes that take less than 30 minutes to cook. While you’re working on these delicious BBQ Chicken Patties, you can also saute’ fresh spinach and bake a few sweet potato rounds in the oven. Everything comes together quickly and creates a tasty meal!
Some folks like to make their own barbecue sauce, but we have a favorite that I use in most of my recipes. I would disclose it, but it’s one of the few secrets I like to keep to myself. (Here’s a hint…it’s definitely made down south in the Carolinas). I wonder if you can guess what it is?
You probably have a favorite barbecue sauce too…and if so, this recipe’s for you. It’s a healthy alternative to ground beef, so you can feel good about making this dish. Also, if you’re gluten-free, these chicken patties are loaded with lots of brown rice and veggies instead of bread crumbs.
You’ll love how easy this recipe is, and I’ll bet you’ll be making it more than once after you give it a try!Print
Barbecue Chicken Patties are simple, savory and delicious. This dish is also loaded with brown rice and veggies to make it gluten-free.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 tsp. barbecue seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. parsley
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (for mix)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (to spread over patties)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (for sautéing)
- Mix the ground chicken with all ingredients except the last cup of BBQ sauce and olive oil.
- Shape chicken mixture into patties and place in skillet with olive oil over medium heat.
- Brown both sides of patties in skillet, turning at least once.
- Pour 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over patties. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then flip over with spatula.
- Pour the other 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce over patties.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes until done.
- Check during cooking and add 1 Tbsp. of water to prevent scorching if necessary.
You could add a beaten egg to the mix, but I’ve found that the patties stay together better without it.
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Skillet
Keywords: barbecue chicken, chicken, BBQ, chicken patties, gluten free
This recipe can be found on Meal Plan Monday!