Southern Style Meatloaf is made with classic ingredients and topped with a savory brown sugar tomato sauce. It's a family favorite that just screams comfort food!
What's Special About This Dish?
Ah, meatloaf. It just happens to be my hubby's favorite meal. In fact, he's in a food coma right now after eating a big old plate of the magical stuff. It's definitely the way to his heart.
There's nothing better than a good, old fashioned slice of Southern Style meatloaf. It's savory and delicious...with all the right spice in all the right places. Plus, it's topped with a sweet brown sugar tomato sauce that tastes amazing!
Ingredients You'll Need
For this recipe, you'll need ground turkey, ground beef, minced garlic, onion, red pepper, barbecue seasoning, ketchup, bread crumbs, and one egg. (Quantities listed in recipe card below.)
How To Make Southern Style Meatloaf
I like to use a combo of ground turkey and ground beef in my meatloaf recipe. Of course, you can only use beef if you like, or just turkey. But, the combo of the two works best. Some people like ground sausage in their meatloaf. Use whatever floats your boat!
I added Trader Joe's BBQ Rub seasoning (ad) to the meat before adding the ketchup.
The rest of this dish is nothing fancy....seasonings, bread crumbs, a beaten egg, peppers and onions round out the loaf. Top it with tomato sauce or ketchup mixed with brown sugar. Pop it into a greased loaf pan, bake it in the oven at 350º, and 45 minutes later, the aroma will slap you silly!
The magic comes when you serve it alongside hand-whipped Garlic Mashed Potatoes and sweet tiny peas. Oh yeah. There's nothing better!
Try these other beef recipes that are sure to please...
- Beef Tenderloin Marsala
- Momma's Pot Roast
- Hearty Beef Stew
- Beef Tenderloin Rice Bowl
- The Carolina Burger
Southern Style Meatloaf
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 tsp. garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small sweet red pepper diced
- 2 Tbsp. barbecue seasoning
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or ketchup)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix turkey and ground beef with a fork.
- Add rest of loaf ingredients and mix together.
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan and press down firmly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Using a knife, loosen edges of loaf pan.
- Invert loaf pan onto a serving plate. Meatloaf should slide out easily.
- Cover meatloaf with tomato sauce mixed with brown sugar.
- Cut loaf into 8 slices and serve immediately.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.