Don’t you just love comfort food that can be prepared and served in one, big pot? My Momma was the best one-pot cooker in all the world. Her avocado-green dutch oven could turn any meal into a masterpiece. She taught me how to make Hearty Beef Stew, which is still one of my family’s favorite meals.
Most of the stew recipes I’ve seen online include some type of tomato base. Mom made a southern version by adding a dash of cream, or half and half. Her stew is rich, rib-sticking, and always delicious. If you like meals that will keep your family satisfied for hours, then this recipe’s for you!
How to Make Hearty Beef Stew
One of the things I like most about Hearty Beef Stew is how easy it is to throw together. Start by roughly chopping one onion. Toss it into your favorite dutch oven (ad) with a pat of butter. Sauté on low heat until onions become transparent.
Add one pound of lean stew meat and sear until all sides are nicely browned. Add a can of French Onion soup, a dash of pepper, and two cups of water. Put the lid on the pot and lower heat to simmer. Cook for at least 2 hours until meat is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
Roughly chop a few carrots and redskin potatoes and throw them into the pot. Add another cup of water and stir well. Increase heat to medium, cover, then cook for 30 minutes until veggies are tender. Make a slurry of 2 Tbsp. cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water. Pour into pot and stir while cooking over medium heat until gravy thickens.
At this point, take the stew off the heat and add 1/2 cup of cream or half and half. Stir well and add salt and pepper to taste. Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving in large bowls!
I like to make a cake of Southern Cornbread to go with mom’s Hearty Beef Stew. The aroma and flavors of this meal takes me back to Momma’s kitchen…which feels like home to me.
Do you have a favorite comfort food recipe? Please leave a comment below and tell me all about it!Print
Hearty Beef Stew is an easy, one pot meal that will keep your family satisfied for hours!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. lean beef stew meat
- 1 can French Onion soup
- 3 cups water
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 redskin potatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, or half & half
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute’ onion with butter in a large dutch oven (ad) until transparent.
- Add beef stew meat, stir frequently to and sear on all sides.
- Add 2 cups of the water and 1 can of French Onion soup with a dash of pepper.
- Stir well and cover. Cook on low heat (simmer) for 2 hours until beef is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Roughly chop carrots and potatoes and add to pot. Add 1 cup of water. Increase heat to medium and cook for at least 30 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Make a slurry of 2 Tbsp. cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water. Pour into pot and stir while cooking over medium heat until gravy thickens.
- Take stew off of heat and add cream, stirring well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve Hearty Beef Stew piping hot in large bowls with a slice of Southern Cornbread!
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Method: Dutch Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: one pot, beef stew, soups, stews, hearty, comfort food, savory, one pot meals, easy recipes
Keep in Touch
Like what you see? Be sure to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!
I’d love to hear what you think about this recipe. Please leave a comment and *STAR* rating below…