Jerk Chicken Rice Bowl is loaded with savory Caribbean spices. You'll be whisked away to Jamaica when you taste this sweet and spicy dish that's ready in 30 minutes!
What's Special About This Recipe?
I recently returned from a glorious trip to Jamaica with 10 girlfriends. We celebrated one of our best friend's birthday in grand style!
The scenery and people were amazing, but the food was over-the-top delicious. It inspired me to create this Jerk Chicken Rice Bowl so I could share a taste of the island with you.
Our hotel had an adorable Jamaican Jerk Hut directly on the ocean that sold freshly prepared jerk chicken and pork. It was my favorite spot to grab lunch and enjoy the incredible view.
There aren't enough adjectives to describe the experience of biting into that savory chicken for the first time. Oh...Jamaica...take me back!
Surprisingly, I discovered jerk chicken doesn't have to be spicy. You can change the heat according to your liking. In Jamaica, they serve this dish with rice and peas (which tasted like beans).
Sauces in several flavors are also available, including everything from mildly sweet to blazing hot. I stuck with the sweet sauce, which is what I used when creating my recipe.
How to Make a Jerk Chicken Rice Bowl
There's no way in the world I could replicate the yumminess found in the Jerk Chicken Hut by the ocean. But, I set out to create a recipe I could easily make at home, and ultimately share with you. So, here goes...
1 - Start by seasoning a pound of chicken tenders with Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. (ad) I bought this spice in Jamaica, but you can also order it from Amazon by clicking the link above.
2 - Rub the seasoning into the chicken, then sear it in a cast iron skillet (or on the grill) with a little olive oil. Allow chicken to char slightly before turning each piece.
3 - Turn the heat down, then add ½ cup of chopped onions to the pan. Saute' until tender for 5 minutes on medium-low heat while the chicken continues to cook.
4 - Now it's time to add the Caribbean Jerk Sauce (ad) which is a blend of pineapple, soy sauce and sweet spices. Pour sauce over the chicken and continue to cook for 5 minutes on medium low heat.
6 - Rotate chicken to make sure it is completely covered in sauce. Once tender, turn off heat and set aside.
What Type of Rice Should I Use?
While the star of this dish is jerk chicken, the type of rice you use is also important. If you want to keep it authentic, choose white rice and add small red beans with a little sweet jerk sauce.
I mixed things up a bit, and used Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley (ad) because it's my favorite brown rice combo.
I also added broccoli as a side to give this dish a healthy boost. But in Jamaica, they keep it simple by serving only chicken, rice and peas. And, believe me...they know what they're doing down there!
When serving this dish, use your most colorful bowl, layer it with rice, then chicken and broccoli. Add a garnish of orange or lime, or sprinkle the chicken with fresh mango if you like.
I added chopsticks for fun, but we actually ate our jerk chicken in Jamaica with a wooden spork (ad). Now, that was really cool.
No matter how you do it, promise me you'll try this recipe because Jerk Chicken Rice Bowl will truly give you a taste of the beauty I found while visiting Jamaica.
Have you ever been to this incredible island? I'd love to hear from you!
More Rice Bowls To Love
Jerk Chicken Rice Bowl
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- Rub jerk seasoning into chicken tenders until completely coated.
- Preheat cast iron skillet to medium heat. Add olive oil, then chicken.
- Sear chicken on both sides, allowing it to char slightly before turning. (about 5 minutes)
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add chopped onions to pan. Saute' onions until tender while chicken is still cooking. (about 5 minutes)
- Pour Caribbean Jerk Sauce over chicken, coating completely. Turn chicken to make sure all sides are coated.
- Cover and cook over medium low heat for 5 additional minutes until chicken is tender. Set aside and keep warm.
- While chicken is simmering, cook rice as directed on package.
- Stir fry broccoli in a cast iron skillet over medium heat with a dash of olive oil until slightly charred. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer rice in individual bowls, followed by chicken and broccoli.
- Garnish with pineapple, orange or mango if desired.
- Feel free to use substitutions for spices and rice if you wish.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!
Wow! Jerk Chicken Rice Bowl was featured on Meal Plan Monday!