Fiesta Rice Bowl is packed with healthy veggies, black beans, and lots of colorful treats that are good for you. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo, or any time you want a delicious vegetarian meal. It's a fiesta waiting to happen!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Is it Cinco de Mayo yet? Let's celebrate with a Fiesta Rice Bowl! It's loaded with black beans, carrots, broccoli, peppers and avocado on top of jasmine rice. Add a little salsa or hot sauce, and you're ready to party!
Fun celebrations deserve a dish created especially for them. Luckily, I was craving a vegetarian rice bowl just in time for Cinco de Mayo. You don't need a celebration to eat this colorful treat, but it doesn't hurt.
Team it up with a Blueberry Sriracha Margarita, and a FIESTA is bound to happen! Or, serve it alongside Green Burritos, Baja Chicken Tacos, and Mexican Street Corn for a Mexican-themed party your friends will never forget!
Rice bowls are all the rage right now, and here's why...
- healthy and nutritious
- super easy to get on the table in a hurry
- throw the entire fridge in there and they still taste wonderful
For this rice bowl, all you need is jasmine rice, broccoli florets, onion, carrot, sweet red peppers, salsa, avocado, black beans and green onion.
Add a little olive oil, garlic and salt for good measure. Hot sauce is optional, but highly recommended!
The base for this bowl is jasmine rice, but you could substitute brown rice if desired.
Throw some onion and olive oil in a cast iron skillet (ad) with broccoli and carrots. Any veggies will do, but those were handy in my fridge, so I grabbed them first. Sauté over high heat for a few minutes.
Next, add salsa for flavor, then allow veggies to simmer. To assemble, layer the veggies over rice. Top everything off with black beans, sweet pepper slices, diced avocado, and green onions to garnish.
YUM to the YUM! This rice bowl will make you feel really good about yourself when you take the first bite! It's perfect for Meatless Mondays, or any day in between.
Absolutely! You can put anything in this rice bowl that you love, including veggies like zucchini, squash, tomatoes and sprouts. The sky is the limit!
My favorite salsa is the kind I make in my blender with tomatoes, cilantro, onion, cumin, fresh lime and salt. But, you can use a fresh salsa from your local deli, or salsa in a jar if that's all you can find.
This dish is perfect if you want to keep it strictly vegetarian, but it's also great topped with grilled chicken, fish, pork or beef.
More Rice Bowls to Try
Looking for more rice bowl recipes? Try one of these yummy recipes when you want dinner ready in a jiffy.
Fiesta Rice Bowl
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 2 cups white jasmine rice cooked
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ½ small onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 small sweet red peppers
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. garlic minced
- dash of salt
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 avocado diced
- ½ cup canned black beans drained
- 2 Tbsp. green onions chopped
- dash of hot sauce optional
- Cook the rice as directed on package and set aside. Add a dash of salt and keep warm.
- In a skillet on high heat, saute' broccoli, onion, carrot, and one of the peppers in a skillet with olive oil.
- Cook for at least 3 minutes on high, or until veggies are tender but still crisp.
- Add garlic and salt. Stir.
- Turn heat to medium and add salsa, stirring frequently.
- Reduce to simmer.
- Divide rice into two separate bowls.
- Divide contents of skillet and pour over rice.
- Divide black beans and diced avocado, sprinkle on top.
- Dice the other red pepper and sprinkle on top.
- Sprinkle the entire dish with chopped green onions.
- Add a dash or two of hot sauce if you like it spicy.
- Make it sassy! Add more toppings like shredded cheese, roasted corn, and sour cream if desired.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.