Happy Cinco De Mayo…and May the 4th be with you! I love how these two celebrations happen close together. It’s like Christmas and New Year’s Day in the middle of spring. It’s time to celebrate with a Fiesta Rice Bowl!
Fun celebrations deserve a dish created especially for them. Luckily, I was craving a rice bowl just in time for Cinco De Mayo. You don’t need a celebration to eat this colorful treat, but it doesn’t hurt. Team it up with a Blueberry Sriracha Margarita, and a FIESTA is bound to happen!
How to Make a Fiesta Rice Bowl
Rice bowls are all the rage right now, and here’s why…
- they’re healthy
- they’re easy to get on the table in a hurry
- you can throw the entire fridge in there and they still taste wonderful
The base for this bowl is jasmine rice, but you could substitute brown rice if you like. You could also make this vegan is that’s your vibe. I diced some rotisserie chicken, threw in some onion and olive oil, then sautéed it in a cast iron skillet (ad) with broccoli and carrots. Any veggies will do, but those were handy in my fridge, so I grabbed them first.
Next, I added salsa for flavor, then layered the veggies and chicken over the rice. I finished it off with black beans, sweet pepper slices, diced avocado, and green onions to garnish.
YUM to the YUM!
I know what you’re thinking. This isn’t exactly southern cuisine. But, it IS inspired by Mexico…which is about as far south as it gets. OLÉ!
More Rice Bowls to Try
Looking for more stir fry recipes that end up as rice bowls? Try one of these when you want dinner ready in a jiffy…Print
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Let’s celebrate with a delicious Fiesta Rice Bowl!
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 small sweet red peppers
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, diced
- 1/4 tsp. garlic, minced
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup black beans, cooked
- 2 Tbsp. green onions, chopped
- dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Cook the rice as directed on package and set aside. Add a dash of salt and keep warm.
- In a skillet on high heat, saute’ broccoli, onion, carrot, and one of the peppers in a skillet with olive oil.
- Cook for at least 3 minutes on high, or until veggies are tender but still crisp.
- Add chicken to skillet and stir well.
- Add garlic and salt. Stir.
- Turn heat to medium and add salsa, stirring frequently.
- Reduce to simmer.
- Divide rice into two separate bowls.
- Divide contents of skillet and pour over rice.
- Divide black beans and diced avocado, sprinkle on top.
- Dice the other red pepper and sprinkle on top.
- Sprinkle the entire dish with chopped green onions.
- Add a dash or two of hot sauce if you like it spicy.
Make it sassy! Add more toppings like shredded cheese, roasted corn, and sour cream.
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: cinco de mayo, fiesta, rice bowl, mexican, skillet, stir fry, rice
Like what you see? Be sure to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!
I’d love to hear what you think about this recipe. Please leave a comment and *STAR* rating below…