Cheesy Skillet Cornbread
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you ever made Cheesy Skillet Cornbread with a layer of cheddar cheese inside? If not, you need to stop everything and whip up some right now. It's truly amazing!
Why This Recipe is Special
The sour cream in this cornbread makes it moist, and the cheese gives it incredible flavor. Baking it in a cast iron skillet puts it over the top!
It's cheesy, but it's also crunchy on top since it's a thick batter. The result is a blend of flavors you'll start craving!
See recipe card for quantities.
- self rising cornmeal mix
- large eggs
- sour cream
- sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Cheesy Skillet Cornbread
This recipe was created for a large 12" cast iron skillet, (ad) but you can try reducing it if your pan is smaller. You probably have most of the ingredients in your fridge and pantry, except for the White Lily Self-Rising Cornmeal Mix.
If not, feel free to buy another self-rising cornmeal mix at the store. Remember to buy self-rising cornmeal, or the cornbread won't rise.
Start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees and melting a tablespoon of butter in the skillet to coat the pan. In a mixer, beat eggs, then add cornmeal mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Mix well.
Spread half of the batter into skillet. Batter will be stiff, so use a spatula. Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top of batter. Spread rest of batter on top of cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Cheesy Skillet Cornbread is meant to be rustic, so the top won't be smooth like other cornbreads you may have eaten.
Why You'll Love This Dish
With only 5 ingredients, Cheesy Skillet Cornbread can be on your table in 30 minutes. Now, that's something to get excited about! If you want to make cornbread without cheese, try my Easy Southern Cornbread recipe.
When you cut into this cornbread, your mouth will open in astonishment. It's the perfect accompaniment to many of my recipes like the ones listed below.
Recipes to Serve With Cornbread
Here are some awesome recipes that go great with cornbread...
Cheesy Skillet Cornbread
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 4 cups White Lily self-rising buttermilk cornmeal mix ad
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 16 oz. carton sour cream
- ½ cup butter melted
- 16 oz. pkg. sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add 1 Tbsp. butter to 12" cast iron skillet (ad) and place in oven for 2 minutes.
- Take skillet out of oven and swirl melted butter around to coat the pan.
- In a mixer, beat eggs, then add cornmeal mix, sour cream, milk, and butter. Mix well.
- Pour ½ of batter into skillet. Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top of batter. Pour rest of batter on top of cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes at 425 degrees until golden brown.
- The batter will be stiff. A spatula works well when spreading it in the skillet.
- For spicier cornbread, add extra ingredients to batter before layering in the skillet such as chopped onions, green chiles, or jalapeños.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!
This cornbread is perfect for serving with soups and chili!
Thanks, Carol! It's definitely my go-to recipe for cornbread. 🙂
I just made a huge pot of soup. This will be perfect with it!