Have you ever made Blackberry Cheese Danish? If not, today’s the day to give it a whirl! It goes great with a hot cup of coffee in the morning, and can also double as a dessert. It’s simply delicious!
A trip to the roadside market is one of life’s greatest pleasures. In the south, produce stands pop up here and there, mostly hidden along the back roads on the way to town.
It’s always a thrill to discover a new treasure at the market. Today’s find was a big basket of sweet, plump blackberries. Half the fun is deciding what to make. Maybe a pie? A cobbler? Something unique, perhaps?
I just happen to see a roll of puff pastry in the fridge…and a garden full of thyme in my backyard. It’s the perfect time to make a Blackberry Cheese Danish!
Puff pastry is right up there with refrigerated pie crusts in the ‘thank you for making my life easier’ section. I truly admire anyone who makes pastry dough from scratch. I’m just not into rolling pins. I’ve had one too many flour poofs in my face to appreciate the fine art of pastry-making.
However…I’m definitely into blackberries. Blackberries, thyme, and jam are my friends. Swirling them into cream cheese sounds delightful. Combining them on a sheet of puff pastry sounds amazing. Making it all happen in 30 minutes is magical!
How to Make Blackberry Cheese Danish
To assemble the danish, start by unrolling the puff pastry onto a sheet pan. If your puff pastry doesn’t include parchment paper, make sure you roll that out first. Then, roll the edges up all the way around.
Mix together a combination of cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon curd and thyme. Spread the cream cheese mixture on the puff pastry, then layer a mixture of blackberries and jam on top. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, allowing pastry to cool for at least 30 minutes.
The final step is my favorite, because it’s what makes this gorgeous blackberry goodness blossom into a danish pastry. Make a glaze by mixing powdered sugar and half & half together. Have some fun while you drizzle the sugar glaze over the entire surface. It will bring out the pastry chef in you!
Blackberry Cheese Danish ranks up there with one the best recipes I’ve ever created. The flaky crust highlights the hint of lemon and thyme in the creamy cheese filling. It’s the perfect breakfast, brunch or dessert treat!Print
Blackberry Cheese Danish will make you want to wake up in the morning and start brewing the coffee!
CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 4 oz. neufchâtel cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon curd
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 cup blueberry jam (any berry jam will do)
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. half & half
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll puff pastry sheet out on sheet pan.
- Roll edges up all the way around pastry.
- Mix cream cheese with powdered sugar, lemon curd and thyme in a small bowl.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese onto puff pastry sheet.
- Mix jam, blackberries and cornstarch together in a small bowl.
- Drop blackberry mixture by spoonfuls on cream cheese layer.
- Spread the mixture evenly over pastry with a spoon.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes until puff pastry is golden brown.
- Allow pastry to cool for 30 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar and half & half together until smooth.
- Drizzle over entire pastry, then cut into rectangles and serve.
- Sprinkle pastry with extra fresh thyme if desired.
- Category: Brunch, Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Sheet Pan
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blackberry, danish, pastry, thyme, blackberry danish, sheet pan, brunch, breakfast, dessert, blackberries