It’s getting hot in our neck of the woods. I’ve made an administrative decision to turn up the chill with a Strawberry Margarita Icebox Pie!
First things first. This pie has tequila in it. It’s the real deal. It won’t make you tipsy, but it’s probably not the best choice to take to the family cookout. However, if you want to invite adult friends over and celebrate summer, this pie’s for you. Believe me, they will LOVE it!
Here’s a cool tip…Strawberry Margarita Icebox Pie can be made with or without tequila, so if you choose to leave it out, you’ll still have a delicious pie that tastes like limeade with hints of strawberries. You can call it Strawberry Limeade Pie. Not too shabby!
So…let’s get cooking!
Start by making a buttery pretzel crust. It has just the right texture and saltiness to compliment the taste of a margarita. If you have a blender or food processor, this step is really fun. Throw some pretzels in, (I used gluten-free), and grind them into a coarse chop.
Add melted butter plus a little sugar, then press the pretzels into the bottom of a pie plate or dish. To harden the crust, bake it at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, then cool to room temperature.
The filling is a mixture of cream cheese, condensed milk and key lime juice. If you choose to add tequila, this would be a good time to do it. 🙂 I like to throw in a few strawberries for added flavor. Not enough to turn the pie dark pink, but just enough to give it a hint of color.
Mix it all together and pour the creamy filling into the crust. Pop that baby into the freezer for at least four hours!
My favorite part is decorating the top of the pie. Once you take the pie out of the freezer, let it thaw for 10 minutes, then decorate with strawberries and limes as desired. Let those creative juices flow!
Serve immediately for best results. Refreeze leftover pie (if you’re lucky enough to have any).
This is my new favorite dessert for all kinds of reasons! Be sure to leave a comment below and tell me what you think…Print
When it’s hot outside, Strawberry Margarita Icebox Pie will turn up the chill! Start your diet tomorrow…and dig into this delicious dessert today.
- 2 cups crushed pretzel crumbs (I used gluten-free)
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 1/3 cup key lime juice (I use Nellie & Joe’s)
- 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 strawberries, diced
- 1/4 cup Blue Agave Tequila
- 6 strawberries, sliced
- 2 limes, thinly sliced
- tiny mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crust, pulse pretzels in blender until crumbly.
- Add melted butter to pretzels and mix well.
- Pour pretzels in bottom of a pie plate or dish. Press firmly into the sides and bottom with your hands.
- Bake crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Take out of oven and cool completely.
- In a mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add lime juice and beat until there are no lumps.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and strawberries. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Mix in tequila.
- Pour filling into crust and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Take pie out of freezer, let thaw for 10 minutes, then decorate with strawberries, limes and mint leaves.
The tequila can be left out of the recipe if desired. You won’t get the margarita flavor, but it will still taste like strawberry limeade, which is a good thing. 🙂
Gluten-free pretzels work well in this dish.
This pie can be frozen ahead for several days.
Nellie & Joe’s key lime juice is perfect in this pie.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Mixer
Keywords: pie, margarita, strawberry margarita, margarita pie, frozen pie, icebox pie
See this recipe and more on Meal Plan Monday!