Sheet Pan Taco Bake makes Taco Night a breeze. You’ll love the puff pastry crust and variety of toppings. It’s an easy one pan taco bake that will please your family or a large crowd on game day or any occasion!
Why You’ll Love It
Few recipes could be easier and quicker than making a taco bake on a sheet pan. The puff pastry crust is absolutely delicious and a perfect base for lots of toppings. It’s solid enough to hold in one hand like a pizza slice, which makes dinner casual and fun!
This recipe can also be served as an appetizer by cutting it into 16 rectangles instead of 8, which is bound to get the party started. Try serving Sheet Pan Taco Bake with Blueberry Sriracha Margaritas at your next get-together, and you’ll be the hostess with the mostest!
Preparing the Meat
STEP 1 – Start by preparing your protein, which can be ground turkey, ground beef, or diced chicken. Sauté in a cast iron skillet for 10 minutes with a few chopped onions until browned throughout.
STEP 2 – Add a packet of taco seasoning and 1 cup of water, then stir until mixed completely.
STEP 3 – Simmer until the water cooks down, then add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and stir until creamy. This method creates your base.
Preparing the Crust
Roll out the puff pastry onto a half size sheet pan (18″ x 13″) lined with parchment paper. Pierce the crust with a fork in several places, then slightly roll the edges around the entire pastry to hold the protein.
Spoon the protein onto the puff pastry and spread it up to the rolled edges. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes, then remove from oven to cool for 10 minutes before adding the toppings.
Basic taco toppings work great in this recipe, but you can go all out and offer other options your family enjoys. The sky’s the limit!
The main ingredients you’ll need are lettuce, tomatoes and cheese. Everything else is up to you.
Chop the toppings and place them in separate bowls so folks can choose what they like. Or, create a taco bar and put out the base ingredients, then encourage everyone to add the extras they like most.
STEP 1 – Spread puff pastry with ground turkey or beef. Bake at 425 20 minutes.
STEP 2 – Add lettuce and black olives or jalapeños.
STEP 3 – Add sliced cocktail tomatoes
STEP 4 – Add cheese
Use a pizza cutter to cut into 8 rectangles, then add a drizzle of ranch dressing or sour cream to a few of the slices. Or, let your guests do the honors.
Serve this yummy Taco Bake directly from your half sheet pan and watch it disappear! It’s so easy to throw together, you’ll love making it at least once a week.
Puff pastry is thicker and flakier than phyllo dough or crescent rolls. It puffs up to make a hearty slice. Purchase it in a roll instead of squares for best results. I use Wewalka brand for best results.
You’ll be happier with the outcome if you use a puff pastry roll instead of crescent rolls or phyllo dough. Make sure you purchase an actual puff pastry roll or the recipe will not work as intended.
Yes, a cookie sheet works fine as long as it is big enough to hold a roll of puff pastry. Most half sheet pans are 18″ x 13″ to help you plan accordingly.
There are many substitutions you can use for toppings.
Try jalapeños, avocado, onions, black beans, cojito cheese, corn, cilantro, salsa, spicy ranch dressing, sour cream, or any other topping you can dream up.
This one pan taco bake is perfect for Taco Night, Taco Tuesday, the big game, birthdays, baby showers, or tailgate parties. It’s easy, fast, and economical to make more than one if you’re serving a big group.
Making a giant taco bake on a sheet pan couldn’t be easier and more fun…no matter what the occasion!
If you love cooking with puff pastry like I do, be sure to try my other yummy recipes…
- Sausage Cheese Bake
- Chicken Pot Hand Pies
- Ham & Egg Brunch Bake
- Chocolate Strawberry Tart
- Blackberry Cheese Danish (how-to video)
Sheet Pan Taco Bake
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 1 lb. ground beef (can substitute chicken or ground turkey)
- ¼ cup onion (chopped)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 refrigerated puff pastry sheet
- 1 ½ cups green lettuce (chopped)
- 1 cup black olives (sliced)
- 1 cup cocktail tomatoes (sliced)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- ¼ cup ranch dressing or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet. Add taco seasoning and water. Simmer until water has reduced.
- Add cheese to ground beef and stir well.
- Roll puff pastry out onto a half size sheet pan (18" x 13") (ad) that has been lined with parchment paper. Pierce pastry with a fork in several places.
- Roll edges slightly around entire pastry.
- Spoon beef mixture onto puff pastry and spread to rolled edges.
- Bake pastry at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Take out of oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Arrange lettuce, olives, tomatoes, and cheese on top of pastry.
- Add additional toppings if you wish.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into 8 slices. Drizzle sour cream or ranch dressing on top of each slice if desired.
- These are tacos like you've never had before!
- Be as creative as you like with the toppings! Try avocado, onions, salsa, cilantro, or anything else you can dream up.
- Be sure to use an actual puff pastry roll instead of phyllo dough or crescent rolls. Only a puff pastry roll will work with this recipe.
- 12 Tomatoes made my exact recipe and featured it on their site.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!