Skillet Mexican Street Corn takes corn to a whole new level. It's sweet, savory, and garnished with amazing herbs and spices. It's just like corn on the cob with the same name, only made in a skillet!
What Is Skillet Mexican Street Corn?
Mexican Street Corn is popular street fare made by grilling corn on the cob, slathering it with mayonnaise, rolling it in cojita (or feta) cheese, and dusting it with cilantro and chili powder. Wait, did I say mayonnaise?
Yes, mayonnaise is definitely in this recipe.
I've been craving Skillet Mexican Street Corn ever since I ate a bite at a food truck the other day. If you've tried it, you know what I mean. If you haven't...this dish is for you.
Trust me. You need this in your life. Your family will thank you. If you share it, your friends will thank you. And, I promise...this will be your new favorite corn recipe to bring to the neighborhood BBQ.
How to Make It
I used two types of corn; white and roasted. I cut the white corn off the cob, and bought frozen roasted corn at the grocery store, which had a bit of char on it. As a result, the two blended nicely and got along well in the skillet.
You could roast your own corn, or use only one kind of corn, or you could mix it up like I did. My reason for mixing the two is to make life easier. It reduces prep time to cut corn off of 4 cobs, and supplement with frozen corn that has already been charred.
However, make sure you use at least 4 cobs of fresh corn, or this recipe won't have the same texture and taste.
Mexican Street Corn is an impressive side dish and can be served with everything from ham to barbecue. Give it a whirl...and leave a comment below telling me what you think!
More Southern Veggies to Love
- Greasy Cut Short Beans
- Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Sheet Pan Taters
- Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts
- Taylor's Collard Greens
Skillet Mexican Street Corn
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- Remove the husks of white corn and cut corn off the cob into a large bowl.
- Add the frozen roasted corn to the bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and add onion. Saute' over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add corn to skillet and stir well over heat for a 5 minutes.
- Mix mayonnaise, chipotle powder and garlic salt together. Add mixture to skillet and stir 2 minutes over medium heat until ingredients are incorporated.
- Sprinkle corn with cheese and cilantro. Take off heat.
- Serve directly from skillet.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.