Heirloom Tomato Salad is light, simple, and absolutely scrumptious. If you love tomatoes, then you have to try this delightful salad which is perfect as a summer side or vegetarian dish.
Why You'll Love This Salad
If it's true what they say about eating with your eyes first, then you're in luck! I could spend all day at the market picking out the best fruit to make this beautiful tomato salad. It's definitely a feast for the eyes...with a delightful taste!
What are Heirloom Tomatoes?
Heirloom tomatoes are unique because of their seeds. Farmers choose the seeds from tomato plants that yield the best fruit.
They pass along these select seeds each season, hoping to create the perfect tomato based on color, shape, size and taste. In most cases, these seeds are passed down through generations, which is how they got the name 'heirloom'.
How Do They Taste?
Heirloom tomatoes are milder, sweeter, and less acidic than a regular tomato. I love the taste of the orange tomatoes with red stripes. Heirloom cherry (or baby) tomatoes are especially yummy!
There are many shapes, colors and sizes, and you'll find the best selection at your local farmer's market. Each tomato is different...which makes it an incredible work of art.
- variety of heirloom tomatoes
- feta cheese
- fresh basil
- fresh thyme
- pickled vidalia onions (ad)
- Italian or balsamic dressing
- salt and cracked black pepper
Core each heirloom tomato, then slice into 6 wedges. Place tomatoes on your prettiest serving dish.
Sprinkle feta cheese, basil, thyme and pickled vidalia onions (ad) over tomatoes. If you've never had pickled vidalia onions, you should really give them a whirl. They're amazing!
Reserve juice from vidalia onions and pour over the top. If you can't find pickled vidalia onions, substitute another pickled vegetable that you like.
Drizzle Italian dressing over tomatoes. You can also use balsamic dressing if desired. Top with a dash of sea salt and cracked black pepper.
This salad couldn't be simpler, but it is packed full of flavor, which makes it a popular side to any entree!
If tomatoes float your boat, then try these related recipes...
Heirloom Tomato Salad
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 4 heirloom tomatoes variety of colors and sizes
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- ½ cupopens in a new tab"> pickled vidalia onions with juice (ad)
- ½ cup Italian or balsamic dressing
- sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Core each tomato, then slice into 6 wedges.
- Place heirloom tomatoes on a serving dish.
- Sprinkle feta cheese, basil, thyme and pickled vidalia onions over tomatoes.
- Reserve juice from vidalia onions and pour over the top.
- Drizzle dressing over tomatoes.
- Top with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store leftover tomatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Feel free to substitute pickled vidalia onions with another pickled vegetable, or leave them out if desired.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.