Southern Tomato Pie is as southern as it gets. It’s made with garden tomatoes, basil, thyme, mayo, and three cheeses in a buttery cracker crust.
Why This Recipe Is Special
Make me a Southern Tomato Pie and I’ll be happy forever. There’s really nothing like juicy tomatoes surrounded in fresh herbs topped with a flavorful cheese sauce. If you’ve never tried it, now’s your chance.
Y’all…this pie tastes like summer all wrapped up in a buttery crust. Garden tomatoes, savory herbs, and three cheeses hang out with each other like nothing you’ve ever tasted before. It’s outrageously good!
Is Tomato Pie a Pizza?
Southern Tomato Pie is not to be confused with the same pizza pie that originated in Sicily. This recipe is a southern treat intended to make use of fresh tomatoes from the garden. The tomatoes are drained, then placed on a crust and smothered with herbs, mayo and cheese. It’s more like a quiche than a pizza.
A tomato pie is as southern as it gets. Who else would mix mayonnaise with cheese, spread it over tomatoes, then call it a pie? Not everyone loves mayo, but most folks in the south use it in everything from casseroles to cakes. If you dislike mayonnaise, you can leave it out and this recipe will still be delicious!
What Type of Tomatoes Should I Use?
You can use Roma tomatoes, which have less water in them, or tomatoes from the garden, grocery store or farmer’s market. Heirloom tomatoes are beautiful and make a lovely presentation, but I like the flavor of good old garden tomatoes the best.
- buttery round crackers
- large tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- fresh basil
- fresh thyme
- cream cheese
- shredded cheddar
- shredded parmesan
How to Make a Southern Tomato Pie
Crush the buttery round crackers in a gallon size plastic bag until crumbly. Add butter and mix well. Press crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ pie plate or pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool crust for at least 15 minutes.
While crust is baking, line a sheet pan with paper towels. Slice tomatoes and line them up on the paper towels in a single layer. Sprinkle salt over tomatoes and drain into towels for 15 minutes. Pat tomatoes dry with additional paper towels.
Mix basil and thyme together. Add the tomatoes to the pie crust in layers, alternating with herb mixture.
With a mixer, blend parmesan, cheddar, cream cheese and mayonnaise in a mixing bowl with garlic powder and pepper. Gently spread cheese mixture over top of pie with a spatula or knife.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown and bubbly. Cool pie for at least 15 minutes before serving.
What should you serve with tomato pie? I like to make a Rainbow Salad and serve it with a loaf of crusty bread.
Another dish that goes well with this recipe is Strawberry Pecan Salad. Either salad works well and completes this summer time vegetarian meal!
More Tomato Recipes to Love
Southern Tomato Pie
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers
- ½ stick butter
- 4 large tomatoes sliced
- dash of salt for draining tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- dash of garlic powder and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place crackers in a gallon size plastic bag and close.
- Pound crackers with a rolling pin or back of spoon until crumbly.
- Add melted butter to bag, mix well and pour into a 9" pie plate.
- Press crumbs into bottom and up sides of pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove and cool for 15 minutes.
- Line a sheet pan with paper towels.
- Slice tomatoes and line them up on the paper towels in a single layer. Sprinkle salt over tomatoes and allow to drain into towels for 15 minutes.
- Pat tomatoes dry with additional paper towels.
- Mix fresh basil and thyme together.
- Add the tomatoes to the pre-baked pie crust in layers, alternating with herb mixture.
- With a mixer, blend cream cheese, parmesan, cheddar, and mayonnaise in a separate bowl until creamy.
- Add garlic powder and pepper. Stir well.
- Add cheese mixture to tomatoes in large spoonfuls. Gently spread over pie.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown and bubbly.
- Cool pie for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve Southern Tomato Pie with a crisp green salad and crusty bread for a delicious vegetarian meal.
- If you dislike mayonnaise, leave it out and this pie will still be really good! You'll just have to take extra care when spreading the topping over the tomatoes because it will be thick.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!