Apple Walnut Dump Cake combines everything you love about autumn in an easy dessert. Tart apples, warm cinnamon, and crunchy walnuts create a dump cake you’ll want to make every time fall rolls around!
What’s a Dump Cake?
A dump cake is usually made with pie filling, cake mix, and butter. Those are the main ingredients, but there are many variations. You basically dump the ingredients into a 9 x 13 inch dish and pop them in the oven. An easy and delicious cake comes out in 45 minutes!
The fun thing about a dump cake is it’s hard to mess up. But, the best part is how amazing it tastes. It’s moist, packed with chunky fruit, and layered with a crunchy topping. Apple Walnut Dump Cake is especially good when topped with homemade cinnamon whipped cream!
What’s the Difference Between a Dump Cake and a Poke Cake?
Dump cakes literally involve dumping all of the ingredients into a pan or skillet before baking, while poke cakes require that you use a fork to poke holes in the cake after baking.
It Only Takes 5 Ingredients!
It’s hard to beat the fact that you only need 5 ingredients for this recipe. Chances are, you already have these ingredients in your fridge and pantry, which makes it so easy!
- apple pie filling or canned fried apples
- cinnamon (ad)
- yellow cake mix
Quantities are listed in the recipe card.
How to Make It
Empty two cans of fried apples or apple pie filling into a 9 x 13 inch oven-safe dish. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon and 1 cup of the walnuts.
Layer dry yellow cake mix over apples. Pour melted butter over the top of cake mix. Top with remaining walnuts. Swirl cake with a knife.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until golden brown. What could be easier than that?
Dump Cake Variations
If you want to get creative with this recipe, or try another combination, here are a few ideas to get you started…
- substitute pecans for walnuts
- mix in dried fruit such as cranberries
- substitute spice cake mix
- swirl the entire cake with caramel syrup after baking
- top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream instead of whipped cream
How to Make Cinnamon Whipped Cream
To make Cinnamon Whipped Cream, pour a carton of heavy whipped cream into a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
Fold in powdered sugar, vanilla, and a dash of ground cinnamon. Stir and serve on top of Apple Walnut Dump Cake while still warm. See quantities in the recipe card below.
More Desserts to Love
If you like this recipe, you’ll love my other desserts…
- Pumpkin Spice Flip Cake
- Vintage Strawberry Cake
- Fried Apple Crisp
- Blackberry Cheese Danish
- Cherry Crumble
Apple Walnut Dump Cake
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 13 x 9 inch baking dish
- mixer (hand or free standing)
- 2 cans 14.5 oz. fried apples (or apple pie filling)
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon ad
- 1 box 15.25 oz yellow cake mix
- 2 cups walnuts chopped
- 1 stick butter melted
CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 16 oz carton heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Empty cans of apples into a 9 x 13 inch oven safe dish.
- Sprinkle apples with cinnamon and 1 cup of the walnuts.
- Sprinkle apples with dry yellow cake mix.
- Pour melted butter over the top and sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Swirl cake around with a knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until golden brown.
CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM
- Pour heavy whipping cream into a mixing bowl.
- Beat with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Mix in cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Spoon over apple cake while still warm.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Keep In Touch
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!