Few things in life are as easy as making a Pumpkin Spice Flip Cake. Even fewer things taste as amazing as this dessert…especially if you’re crazy about pumpkin spice!
Pumpkin Spice Flip Cake has all the right spices in all the right places, with the perfect swirl of butter, pecans and cream cheese icing. Have mercy! It makes me happy just to think about it.
I have no idea where the name of this cake came from, but it’s kinda like a flipped-out version of a pumpkin cake, so it makes sense. The bottom layer tastes like pumpkin pie! It’s also a vintage recipe my Momma wrote it in her own handwriting, which makes it very special to me.
There are lots of pumpkin dump cake recipes around and this one is similar, but I used a carrot cake mix instead of the standard yellow one. I also cut back on the sugar and didn’t miss it a bit since I added cream cheese icing. 🙂
LET’S GET COOKING!
Start by spraying a 13 X 9 inch sheet cake pan with baking spray and set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat 3 eggs, then add 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice and 1 cup of sugar. Mix for about 1 minute on medium speed, then add a large can of pumpkin and evaporated milk. Mix again until incorporated, and pour into a greased 13 X 9 inch pan.
The next part is kinda fun and also a little messy. You just sprinkle a dry carrot cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mixture, throw around a few walnuts, pour a stick of melted butter on top, and swirl the entire cake together with a knife. Now, that’s some fun right there. 🙂
At this point, the cake is ready to pop in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour until set. You can eat this cake right out of the oven, or you can wait for it to cool and add a marvelous cream cheese icing on top. It’s your call.
I’m going for the icing!
As far as I’m concerned, cream cheese icing is right up there with one of the best things ever invented, and it’s so easy to make! Just blend butter, cream cheese and confectioner’s sugar with a little vanilla and you’re good to go. Slather it on top of your cooled cake and sprinkle with more walnuts if desired.
Ahhhh, Pumpkin Spice Flip Cake. Get ready to fall in love. 🙂Print
Pumpkin Spice Flip Cake has all the right spice in all the right places! Topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting and chopped walnuts, this cake is everything pumpkin spice lovers crave.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 large can (28 oz) pure pumpkin
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 pkg. (15.25 oz) carrot cake mix
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 stick butter, melted
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz. box confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped for garnish if desired
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs.
- Add sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Beat at least 1 minute.
- Stir in pure pumpkin and evaporated milk. Mix well.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into a 13 X 9 inch cake pan sprayed with baking spray.
- Sprinkle dry carrot cake mix and chopped walnuts evenly on top of pumpkin mixture.
- Drizzle melted butter over cake mix and swirl with a knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until set.
- Beat butter and cream cheese together in a mixing bowl for 2 minutes until lump-free.
- Gradually add confectioner’s sugar until creamy.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Spread over cooled cake and garnish with chopped walnuts if desired.
Make sure you cool cake at least 45 minutes before spreading icing on top.
Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin spice, pumpkin cake, pumpkin, desserts, cream cheese icing
Also, if you’d like FREE RECIPES delivered to your inbox, SIGN UP for my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!