Chocolate Toffee Bars are irresistible cookies that taste similar to Heath bars! They're buttery, crunchy, and loaded with salted caramel chocolate in every bite. If you want to have the most popular dessert at the Christmas cookie swap, make these scrumptious toffee cookie bars!
Buttery round crackers, caramel toffee, crunchy pecans and melted chocolate create easy cookies with great flavor. The caramel toffee magically makes its way to the bottom of the pan and creates a delicious shortbread crust that tastes out of this world!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy to Make: really simple dessert for parties during the holiday season
- Great Taste: these decadent cookies have everything you love wrapped up in one bite!
- Great Gifts: toffee bars are perfect to wrap up and give as Christmas gifts
- Crowd Favorite: this easy recipe makes a big batch that friends and family will love!
This recipe only requires 6 simple ingredients you may already have in your pantry or fridge! If you're missing an item, you can easily find it at your local grocery store. See recipe card for quantities.
- buttery round crackers (like Ritz)
- brown sugar
- chopped pecans
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- sea salt
1 - Start by layering buttery round crackers in a 13 X 9 baking dish. For best results, line the baking dish with parchment paper and spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
2 - Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in brown sugar over medium heat.
3 - Stir the sugar and mix butter constantly, allowing it to come to a boil for 2 minutes. Take off heat and stir in chopped pecans.
4 - Pour the buttery toffee spread over the top of every cracker, covering each one with the mixture. Be careful! It's hot!
5 - Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 10 minutes until bubbly. Take out of the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
6 - Let the chocolate sit for about 1 minute to melt, then spread lightly with a knife or spatula. Sprinkle the chocolate with a dusting of sea salt.
7 - To cool bars, freeze the toffee candy for at least 1 hour until set, then thaw for 15 minutes.
8 - Cut bars into squares with a pizza cutter, or break up into chunks as desired.
- Use a pizza cutter for easiest cutting.
- If you score the bars as soon as they come out of oven, the lines will be easier to follow when it's time to cut them.
- Be sure to spray the parchment paper with cooking spray to make it easier for the bars to pop out of the pan.
Yes, you can freeze this recipe in an airtight container for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw on the kitchen counter overnight, then separate and enjoy.
If you make these cookies without using baking spray first, they will be almost impossible to get out of the pan. To make sure they release easily, use parchment paper to line the bottom and spray it with cooking spray before adding ingredients.
Yes, you can definitely use another type of cracker like saltines or club crackers. I like the buttery taste of the round crackers, but others work just as well.
Storage and Freezing
Store leftover dessert bars in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature.
To freeze the bars, assemble them in a single layer on a sheet pan and place in the freezer until firm. Once frozen, transfer bars to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen bars in the refrigerator overnight, or leave at room temperature until thawed.
What to Serve With Chocolate Toffee Bars
Chocolate Toffee Bars go great with other holiday treats like Santa's Chocolate Chip Cookies and Walnut Snowball Cookies. They also taste amazing with a cup of Crockpot Wassail or a glass of Non Alcoholic Christmas Punch.
If you're making a holiday platter, serve this easy dessert recipe with slices of Candy Cane Pie, savory Crispy Cheese Wafers and Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies. Or, try these Christmas Pinwheel Cookies that are a real show stopper!
More Desserts to Love
If you enjoy these delicious toffee bars, try a few of my other favorite treats...
Chocolate Toffee Bars
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 2 sleeves buttery round crackers (32 crackers in each sleeve)
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- dusting of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Layer buttery round crackers in a 13 X 9 baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray, or line it with parchment paper and spray the paper with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Take off heat and stir in pecans.
- Pour toffee mixture over buttery crackers in pan. Cover entire surface of crackers.
- Bake crackers at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until bubbly.
- Take crackers out of oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Let chocolate sit for 1 minute to melt, then spread to cover crackers. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Freeze toffee bars for 1 hour to set.
- Take out of freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. Cut into squares with a sharp knife or a pizza cutter and serve!
- Use parchment paper to line the pan before adding ingredients and the cookies will release easily.
- Spraying the parchment paper with baking spray will make it even easier.
- Use a pizza cutter to make cutting easier.
- View the Google Web Story for Toffee Cracker Bars!
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.