Brunch is a fun way to start the weekend. Just for kicks and giggles, I like to create recipes that will get my hubby out of bed. Over the years, I’ve learned that making Sausage & Cheese Bake is the fastest and easiest method. 🙂
Sausage & Cheese Bake ranks high on the list with my other puff pastry recipes like Blackberry Cheese Danish and Strawberry Chocolate Tart. The biggest difference is that it’s savory instead of sweet. Which brings me to gravy.
Ah, gravy. On biscuits…on toast…on just about anything. It’s a southern way of life. I’ve been known to make a mean sausage gravy. And, one of the best parts of this dish is it starts with that southern delicacy.
LET’S GET COOKING!
Start by browning a pound of your favorite pork sausage in a cast iron skillet. I like to choose a mild sausage, then add my favorite spices like cracked pepper, garlic, and a little sage.
Once the sausage is browned, add 2 Tbsp. flour to the skillet, and cook for one minute over medium low heat. Next, add one cup of milk and stir until creamy. This gravy recipe is going to be thicker and not have as much volume as biscuit gravy because it’s going on top of puff pastry.
Speaking of puff pastry, now’s the time to roll it out on your handy, dandy sheet pan. I use puff pastry which comes with its own parchment paper, but if yours doesn’t, be sure to roll out the paper first.
When the puff pastry is ready, roll up the edges all the way around, and prick the pastry with a fork. Spoon on the sausage and gravy mixture. Now, it’s time for the best thing ever…CHEESE! Sprinkle cheddar, then a blend of your favorite cheeses on top of the sausage and you’re ready to bake it up!
Pop the whole thing into a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes and be amazed at what comes out when the timer goes off! Let the pastry rest for 5 minutes, then cut it into yummy pieces.
Sausage Cheese Bake tastes like a giant biscuit smothered in sausage and cheese gravy. It’s the perfect brunch recipe for weekends, bridal showers, or holiday celebrations.Print
Sausage Cheese Bake is the perfect brunch recipe for weekends, bridal showers, or holiday celebrations!
- 1 pound pork sausage
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of dried sage
- dash of cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 refrigerated puff pastry
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup four cheese blend, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brown sausage in cast iron skillet until no longer pink.
- Add garlic powder, sage and pepper.
- Add 2 Tbsp. flour and cook for 1 minute until grease absorbs.
- Add 1 cup of milk and mix well over medium low heat. Set sausage mixture aside.
- Roll out puff pastry onto a sheet pan. Roll edges inwards slightly.
- Spoon sausage mixture over puff pastry.
- Spread cheddar and four cheese blend over sausage.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then cut into 8 pieces.
If puff pastry doesn’t include parchment paper, be sure to roll out paper onto sheet pan before rolling out pastry.
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Sheet Pan
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: sausage cheese bake, sausage, cheese, pastry, puff pastry, breakfast, brunch
View Sausage Cheese Bake on Meal Plan Monday!