This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salmon Caprese takes seafood to the next level. The combination of salmon, tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and balsamic glaze is amazing!
What's Special About This Recipe?
I'm always looking for new ways to cook fish. There are tons of ideas out there, and each one sounds better than the next. But, one night after making a Caprese Panini, I wondered if the same topping would go go well with baked salmon...
Frankly, my dear, the answer is YES!
My first attempt at making this dish was a complete disaster. I would post a picture, but you'd probably never read this blog again. So, I'll just show you what it looked like before it went into the oven. Isn't it lovely?
Silly me. I thought it would be a neat idea to cook everything on a sheet pan, which was brilliant, except for the mozzarella cheese mixed with balsamic glaze. OH. MY. GOODNESS. Three days later, I was still scraping cheese off that pan!
Thankfully, my savvy daughter-in-law suggested I bake the salmon as usual, then add the caprese topping without being cooked. BINGO! Did I mention I have the smartest DIL in the world? Look how nicely this dish turned out...
How to Make Salmon Caprese
Drizzle olive oil on bottom of a sheet pan. Arrange salmon on pan, with top side facing up. Drizzle olive oil over top of salmon.
Mix garlic salt, pepper and paprika together, then sprinkle salmon with mix. Arrange lemon slices on top of salmon.
Sprinkle with chopped green onions. Bake salmon at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. While salmon is baking, slice tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Cook rice as directed on package.
Take salmon out of oven and immediately garnish with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Drizzle balsamic glaze over entire surface of salmon.
Y'all, the flavor of the salmon, combined with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, is absolutely off-the-charts! The warmth of the baked salmon melts the cheese to the perfect temperature.
To serve this beautiful fish, cut into slices and make sure there are plenty of toppings on each slice. Place a bed of rice on each plate and add a slice of salmon on top. Drizzle with extra balsamic glaze and serve.
When you add a drizzle of balsamic glaze, and serve the entire dish over rice, it takes seafood to the next level.
More Main Dishes to Love
- BBQ Shrimp and Grits
- Beef Tenderloin Marsala
- Mango Chicken Pasta
- Fall Off The Bone BBQ Ribs
- Momma's Pot Roast
- Portobello Chicken Lasagna
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 1 large salmon filet at least 2 pounds
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 lemon sliced
- 2 Tbsp. green onions chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 8 oz. mozzarella cubed
- 6 large fresh basil leaves julienned
- 2 cups brown rice cooked and seasoned with butter and a dash of salt
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle olive oil on bottom of a sheet pan. Arrange salmon on pan with top side facing up. Drizzle olive oil over top of salmon.
- Mix garlic salt, pepper and paprika together, then sprinkle salmon with mix. Arrange lemon slices on top of salmon.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions. Bake salmon at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- While salmon is baking, slice tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Cook rice as directed on package.
- Take salmon out of oven and immediately garnish with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over entire surface of salmon.
- Slice salmon into 6 pieces and serve over rice.
- The warmth of the salmon will melt the cheese to the perfect temperature.
- If you can't find balsamic glaze in your store, make it by boiling 8 oz. balsamic vinegar and ¼ cup brown sugar together for 20 minutes over medium heat. Let it cool about 10 minutes before using, then store in the fridge to use later.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!
Thanks Carol! C'mon over and let's make it!
5 Star Restaurant Dish! The flavors are fabulous together, very healthy too. Thanks Debi!
WOW! Thanks, Jane! So glad you loved it!
I made this and cheated on the topping. I used canned roasted tomatoes, dried basil, and shredded mozzarella. It was the best salmon I’ve ever had!! I’ll definitely make this again! Thanks Debi!!
Cool beans! That's a great idea, Teresa. So glad you like it!
Oh my.....I’ll be trying this!
Thanks, Pam! Invite me over when you do. 🙂
I love salmon. This recipe is so different than any I have seen. I bet it’s delicious!
I love grilled salmon and caprese salad, so this recipe is perfect!!!
Well, you're going to love this dish!