Three Bean Chicken Soup gets the party started with great flavor and soothing comfort! It's a healthy soup for cold, winter nights and chilly days at home.
Why You'll Love This Soup
Three Bean Chicken Soup is your best bet if you're looking for a recipe that covers all the bases! This southwestern soup has lots of good-for-you ingredients including three types of beans, fire roasted tomatoes, and fresh cilantro.
I add spices such as cumin, garlic and turmeric for good measure, which makes the soup both filling and healthy at the same time. You'll love how easy it is to make, and your family will love how hearty and delicious it tastes!
- onion - starts the party!
- sweet peppers - colorful and flavorful
- butter - the base for all good soups
- chicken - can use rotisserie or fresh chicken
- chicken broth - adds richness
- three types of canned beans - black, chili and white
- fire roasted tomatoes - adds exceptional flavor
- creamed corn - acts as a thickening agent in this recipe
- cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, pepper - essential spices
- fresh cilantro - gives this recipe its 'kick'
- sour cream, cheese and tortilla strips - optional garnish
Quantities are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make It
Don't let the ingredient list fool you, this soup comes together quickly and is ready in a snap.
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, saute' onion and pepper in butter for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in chicken and brown.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Add three types of beans, tomatoes and corn. Stir well.
- Season with cumin, turmeric, garlic powder and pepper.
- Add chopped fresh cilantro and mix all ingredients together.
- Simmer soup for 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream, cheese and tortilla strips if desired.
Can This Soup Be Frozen?
Yes! Three Bean Chicken Soup freezes really well in airtight containers. Be sure to cool the soup first before placing it in a container so it won't harbor harmful bacteria. Once it's cooled safely, freeze soup for up to 3 months for best flavor.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Dice vegetables and chicken into small bite so it cooks uniformly.
- Use the freshest ingredients possible. It's best to use fresh cilantro.
- Fire roasted tomatoes provide excellent flavor, but feel free to substitute another diced tomato if necessary.
- Garnishes add extra calories. Choose wisely.
- Substitute green peppers for sweet peppers if desired.
- Creamed corn acts as a thickening agent in this recipe, but kernel corn can be used if creamed corn is not available.
More Soups to Love
There's nothing like a hot bowl of soup to fill you up and keep you fueled for the day ahead. If you love soup, try my other recipes too...
- All the Love Potato Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Chowder
- Vegetable Beef Soup
Keep in Touch
Sharing is Caring! Please leave a REVIEW, PIN and SHARE my recipes with friends!
My best dishes also appear each week on Meal Plan Monday and Weekend Potluck!