Cherry Magic Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cherry Magic Bars are a fun variation to a vintage recipe. The addition of dried cherries and salted pretzels puts this recipe over the top!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
I think I've made about a million magic bars over the years. But, I just had to add my favorite ingredient to make them even better. Cherry Magic Bars are every bit as 'magic' as you can imagine...especially if you're a cherry lover like me.
Adding the sour taste of dried cherries and salted pretzels to the standard magic bar recipe makes a big difference. And you know what? It's my new favorite cookie!
Ingredients You'll Need
The original recipe calls for a graham cracker crust topped with chocolate and butterscotch chips, coconut, and pecans. Sweetened condensed milk is the binder that holds it all together.
But, when you add cherries to the chocolate and pretzels to the butterscotch....well, hold on to your magic bars! It's more than lip-smacking good!
How to Make Cherry Magic Bars
Begin by greasing a 13 X 7 inch glass dish or pan. Add 2 cups of graham crackers and 1 stick of butter to the bottom of the dish and mix well with your hands. Pat the graham cracker crust until it's firm.
Now, comes the fun part! All you have to do is start layering ingredients. Start with the chocolate chips, then butterscotch, followed by coconut and dried cherries. Spread them around so there's a bite in every cookie.
Top that with crushed salted pretzels and chopped pecans. The crowning glory is when you pour sweetened condensed milk over the entire dish.
Pop Cherry Magic Bars into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes and watch the magic happen. The condensed milk seeps through to the bottom, and the chocolate and butterscotch melt to a perfect consistency. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before cutting into 2 inch squares.
I don't know how you feel about magic bars, but these cookies bring back lots of fun memories for me. Enjoy them with a big glass of milk and make some new memories with your family!
More Desserts to Love
Try my other desserts that will bring back fond memories...
Cherry Magic Bars
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick butter melted
- 12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips
- 12 oz. pkg. butterscotch chips
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup salted pretzels crushed
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 13 X 7 inch dish, mix the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter together.
- Press crumbs (with hands) into the bottom of pan to make a crust.
- Layer the next 6 ingredients in order over the graham cracker crust.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the entire dish, covering it completely.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes, then cut into 2 inch squares.
- To crush pretzels, place in a closed baggie and pound with the back of a spoon.
- Try to cover entire surface with sweetened condensed milk, but don't fret if there are some spots that don't get covered.
- Only bake cookie bars for 30 minutes, even if they don't seem done. They will harden when cooled.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Keep in Touch
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!
I love magic bars and I love cherries. Wow what a combination!! Do you deliver?
Hahah! Now, that would be something.