The very moment there’s a little chill in the air, my hubby asks me to make Chicken Pot Hand Pies. They’re basically chicken pot pies in puff pastry pockets that are as delicious as you can imagine.
I’m a chicken pot pie kinda girl. And my hubby loves them even more than I do. Whenever I venture out on a girl’s night, he has been known to go by the grocery store and purchase a whole case of frozen pot pies. I came up with this pocket version to eliminate his compulsive behavior. 🙂 haha!
One time when I was away, my hubby took a picture of his chicken pot pie with a flower in front of it and pretended he had his own food blog. When I got that text, I laughed for days. If I ever find that pic, I’m gonna post it here.
These little babies freeze well after baking, so now my hubby has a load of them stacked in the freezer for nights when I’m not home to cook supper. No more chicken pot pie and flower pics.
Winner-winner chicken dinner!
How to Make Chicken Pot Hand Pies
There’s nothing hard about making these cute little pastries, but there are a few steps to take. Start off by rolling out a puff pastry sheet and cutting it into 8 rectangles with a pizza cutter.
Now you’re ready to make the filling…which is an easy blend of sour cream, chicken soup and veggies. Add a few seasonings, and you’re ready to fill the pastries. Spoon a generous amount of filling on four of the rectangles, then close with the other rectangles. Seal with a fork, and prick the top of the pastries to allow for venting.
Brush with an egg wash, then pop these darlings into a 425 degree oven. In 20 minutes, watch them transform into the most beautiful pastries you’ve ever seen…or tasted!
Let me know what you think about Chicken Pot Hand Pies by leaving a comment below…Print
Flaky, creamy and oh so dreamy…Chicken Pot Handpies are perfect for on-the-go families, or served with a mixed green salad for dinner.
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, cubed
- 4 oz. sour cream
- 1/2 can (10 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, steamed 5 minutes
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp. dried Italian herbs
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of black pepper
- salt to taste
- egg wash (one beaten egg + a little milk)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out puff pastry sheet and cut into 8 rectangles with a pizza cutter.
- Cube chicken and place in a large bowl.
- Add sour cream, chicken soup, steamed vegetables, onion and seasonings. Mix well.
- Spoon a generous amount of filling onto the middle of half of the puff pastry rectangles.
- Stretch the other rectangles to fit over the ones with filling. Press around edges to seal.
- Press the tines of a fork around each pastry to close together.
- Prick top of each pastry with a fork or knife to create a vent for steam.
- Brush pastries with egg wash.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
If you like, you can freeze these pastries after cooking and enjoy later. To reheat, allow to thaw for 10 minutes, then cook at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until heated throughout. Cover lightly with aluminum foil to keep pastry from over cooking.
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken pot pie, handpies, turnovers, popovers, chicken pot handpies, dinner, snacks, kids meal, chicken
Like what you see? Be sure to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!
I’d love to hear what you think about this recipe. Please leave a comment and *STAR* rating below…