Air Fryer Chicken Wings are the perfect appetizers if you like crispy wings with a short cooking time. They're great snacks for Game Day, tailgate parties, and whenever you're craving the best chicken wings ever!
Why Air Fry?
- Air frying is perfect for cooking whole chicken wings! You'll love this easy recipe because it's both sweet and spicy. It will be one of your favorite recipes to produce crispy wings every time!
- With just a little bit of oil and the perfect seasoning, you'll be ready to dip fried chicken wings in your favorite sauce in just minutes.
- This air fryer chicken wings recipe is delicious because it uses my homemade dry rub recipe which makes the best wings you've ever tasted!
- fresh whole chicken wings - or use frozen pieces that have been thawed completely
- avocado oil - or choose another oil that has a high smoke point
- homemade dry rub - try this amazing recipe made with brown sugar, garlic powder and other warm spices that create a crispy skin and crunchy coating
- blue cheese dip recipe - you'll love this classic dipping sauce made for cooked wings
How to Cut Whole Chicken Wings
1 - To make crispy air fryer chicken wings, start by drizzling a little oil in your air fryer basket, then prep the chicken.
2 - Cut whole wings into pieces, or use chicken that has already been cut. Use paper towels to pat the chicken dry.
3 - Stretch the whole chicken wing into a long piece and cut the wing tip off at the joint with a sharp knife. Discard tips.
4 - Cut through the joint between the wing and the drummette.
5 - Place pieces in a large bowl and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle meat with dry rub. Use your hands to rub it into the meat on both sides.
6 - Arrange meat in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Don't allow pieces to touch. Set air fryer to 390 degrees for 16 minutes.
7 - Cook for 8 minutes, then turn over and cook for 8 minutes longer for crispy skin. Watch carefully to make sure they don't scorch.
Other Cooking Methods
Conventional Oven - line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack on top. Arrange poultry on rack. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes until crispy.
Grill - slather poultry with dry rub and place on a 350 degree grill for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
Pan Fried or Deep Fryer - bring oil to medium heat in a frying pan or deep fryer. Cook for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
It depends on the model of your unit. For an average 4 quart model, you can get about 3 whole wings or 6 pieces of chicken in the air fryer basket at a time. It's important not to let the chicken pieces touch or overlap for uniform cooking.
Yes, you'll need to flip the chicken pieces half way through cooking time to ensure they're cooked properly. Shaking the wings will break up the crispy coating, so it's recommended to flip them instead.
What's your favorite wing sauce?
If you don't want to use a dry rub and would rather add sauce, just pop pieces into a bowl after they're done cooking and toss with your favorite sauce!
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Whole Chicken Wings
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- air fryer
- large bowl and spoon
- 2.5 pounds fresh whole chicken wings can use frozen if thawed completely
- 2 Tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 recipe Dry Rub for Chicken Wings
- Start by drizzling a little oil in air fryer basket.
- Cut whole wings into pieces, or use chicken that has already been cut. Use paper towels to pat the chicken dry.
- Stretch the chicken wing into a long piece and cut the wing tip off at the joint with a sharp knife. Discard tips.
- Cut through the joint between the wing and the drummette.
- Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle chicken with dry rub. Use your hands to rub it into the meat on both sides.
- Arrange wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket. They should not be touching.
- Set air fryer to 390 degrees for 16 minutes. Cook for 8 minutes, then turn over wings and cook for 8 minutes longer for crispy skin. May need additional time depending on air fryer model.
- Watch carefully to make sure wings don't scorch. Lower the temperature if necessary for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- All air fryers are various sizes and cook differently. Watch wings carefully to avoid scorching. Lower temperature if necessary to avoid burning.
- Frozen chicken wings can be used if thawed completely before cooking.
- Cook in batches to avoid over lapping chicken in the air fryer basket.
- Serve crispy chicken wings with Homemade Blue Cheese Dip and celery sticks!
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please SHARE with friends!