Cheesy Skillet Spaghetti is a one-pan meal with prep and easy clean up happening in the same skillet. It's cheesy, full of flavor, and oh...so good. This dish also freezes well and reheats in a jiffy!
What's Special About This Recipe
I always laughed when my Kindergarten students said "Pasghetti" as they placed their orders in the cafeteria. Now, I find myself doing the same thing.
There's nothing funny about this skillet meal. It's all business. I started making it one night when my hubby told me he liked my spaghetti better the next day. What? The next day? "Yes, honey...the next day when you put the leftovers in the oven and bake it with cheese."
Oh. Okay. I aim to please.
That's when I decided not to wait until the next day to add cheese...and to throw it all together in my cast iron skillet (ad) the first time around. Eureka!
One Skillet Meal
Cheesy Skillet Spaghetti is a one pan meal, and that's the best kind when you're in charge of clean-up....which is another reason why my hubby likes this recipe so much.
You'll love how easy it is to make, and the smiles you'll get when your family tastes it for the first time. It also keeps well if you have any leftovers!
- spaghetti - any type will do
- ground turkey (or beef) - turkey is a little leaner
- Italian seasoning - gives this dish its flavor
- spaghetti sauce - use your favorite brand in a jar
- sharp cheddar cheese - mix it with the spaghetti
- mozzarella cheese - sprinkle it on top
- dried parsley - adds a little color and flavor
- I like to use ground turkey to lighten things up, so start by browning the turkey in the skillet (ad) with a few seasonings. Next, add spaghetti sauce straight out of the jar. Then, break up the pasta and boil it for a few minutes until it's al dente. It gets thrown in the skillet with everything else.
- The fun part starts when sharp cheddar cheese gets stirred into the mix. Cheese has a way of taking everything to the next level. Of course, I can't stop there. Add a sprinkle of mozzarella (just because). Top it with some dried parsley, and dinner is ready!
Here's a flashback...Momma used to put celery in her spaghetti. Oh, yes she did! She also used tomato soup for the sauce because my Dad liked it that way. I couldn't wait until I was on my own so I could make it like my friend's mom did...with certified Italian sauce out of a jar. Sorry, Momma.
Is It Freezer Friendly?
Yes! This dish can be frozen for up to 3 months in an air-tight container. When ready to serve, thaw in the microwave and reheat in the oven at 350 degrees until bubbly. Throw on some extra cheese if you like!
Here are a few of my other favorite pasta meals...
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Easy Pesto Pasta
- Roasted Veggie Pasta
- Mango Chicken Pasta
- Lemon Chicken Spaghetti
- Baked Ziti to Go
Cheesy Skillet Spaghetti was featured on Meal Plan Monday!