If it's game day, you gotta have Buffalo Chicken Tater Tots on the table. This appetizer combines two popular tailgate foods to create the ultimate game day snack!
What Makes This Recipe Special?
At our house, football is a big deal. Since I'm the daughter of a former football coach and wife of a high school quarterback, we get excited about sports around here. And of course, tailgate food is at the top of our list.
Buffalo Chicken Tater Tots is a mash up of our favorite football party foods. Crispy tater tots meet zesty buffalo chicken dip while still hanging out with blue cheese dressing. It's a scandalous affair, but worth every bite!
The entire skillet dish is topped with blue cheese crumbles, bacon, dressing and green onions. It can be scooped out with chips, served with celery sticks, or dipped with a big spoon. Either way, it's outrageously YUM!
- frozen tater tots - the star of this dish
- shredded cheddar cheese - tops the tater tots
- cream cheese - gives the dip its creamy base
- buffalo sauce - mild, yet sassy spice
- rotisserie chicken - makes things easy
- ranch dressing - cools things down
- blue cheese crumbles - adds a little bite
- bacon - because everything's better with bacon
- green onions - the crowning touch
How to Make It
- Place frozen tater tots in the bottom of a cast iron skillet or casserole dish.
- Cover tots with shredded cheddar.
- Mix cream cheese and buffalo sauce together with a mixer. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Fold in chicken.
- Spoon chicken mixture over cheese on top of tots. Crumble bacon over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until bubbly.
- Mix ranch dressing with half of the blue cheese crumbles.
- Top tater tots with dressing, other half of the blue cheese crumbles, and green onions.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips, celery sticks, or just dip and eat with a fork.
Can I Substitute Other Cheeses?
If you're not a blue cheese fan, you can use pepper jack cheese instead, or just add more shredded cheddar to the top if you like. Use ranch dressing instead of blue cheese, or try sour cream for a completely different taste.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Spray the cast iron skillet with cooking spray before adding tater tots to avoid sticking.
- Using rotisserie chicken is more convenient and saves a ton of time, but if not handy, any type of cooked chicken will work.
More Game Day Food
Buffalo Chicken Tater Tots make the perfect appetizer for parties of all shapes and sizes. They're easy to make, and even more fun to eat!
If you love this appetizer, check out my other game day treats that go well together! The combination below makes a great appetizer buffet.
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Sheet Pan Taco Bake
- Fried Chicken Wings
- Sheet Pan Italian Sliders
- Tailgate Meatballs
- The Best Sausage Balls