If you're craving something sweet and want to use ingredients from your pantry, Skillet Berry Crumble is the dessert you've been waiting for. It's tart, sweet, and filled with staples you already have on the shelf.
I've been doing a lot of cooking lately in my cast iron skillet (ad). From stir fry meals to luscious desserts, my trusty skillet just keeps on ticking.
However, if you don't have a cast iron skillet for this recipe, don't worry. You can always use a pie plate or 13 X 9 inch pan.
Either way, you'll be making this yummy dessert time and time again!
How to Make It
Choose a berry jam that you love and whisk it in a glass bowl until smooth. I used seedless blackberry jam. Slice larger berries in half and add to the bowl.
I used blackberries, but you can use strawberries, blueberries or raspberries for this dish. If you really want to go crazy...use them all!
To make the crumble, mix softened butter and brown sugar in a mixer until combined.
Gradually add oats, flour and baking soda to the mix. Blend until crumbly.
Press ⅔ of the dough into the bottom of a skillet, or use a 13 X 9 inch pan. Be sure to grease the skillet or pan before using.
Now, it's time to bake the crumbly dough for about 25 minutes until it's nice and brown. Take it out of the oven and cool for 5 minutes before spreading the berry mixture over the dough.
Crumble the rest of the dough over berry mixture. Bake for 25 more minutes until top is bubbly and golden.
The only hard part is waiting until the skillet cools completely before slicing into triangles. I bet you can't keep from sampling the crumbles while you're waiting! I know I can't.
Berry Crumble Variations
If you're not a blackberry fan, I promise that any berry will work well in this dish. Raspberries are especially yummy. If you choose strawberries, or another large berry, cut them lengthwise before adding to the jam.
Different jams will work too. I've tried blueberry, strawberry and raspberry jam depending on the berry I'm using.
As long as you whisk the jam until smooth before spreading onto the dough, it will turn out perfectly.
More Yummy Desserts
If you love this recipe, try my other berry desserts...
- Chocolate Strawberry Tart
- Blackberry Cheese Danish
- Fried Apple Crisp
- Raspberry Mocha Twists
- Blueberry Peach Cobbler
- Mini Strawberry Shortcakes
- Peach Hand Pies
Skillet Berry Crumble
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 1 jar seedless berry jam
- 2 pints blackberries or berries of your choice
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups quick cook oats
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk berry jam in a bowl until smooth.
- Slice blackberries and add to jam in bowl. Stir gently and set aside.
- Mix butter and brown sugar in a mixer until combined.
- Gradually add oats, flour and baking soda to mixer. Blend until crumbly.
- Press ⅔ of dough into bottom of a cast iron skillet or 13 X 9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Take out of oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Spread berry mixture over cooled dough.
- Crumble rest of dough over berry mixture. Bake for 25 more minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing into triangles.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.