Dessert will never be the same when you serve this stunning Summer Berry Trifle. It's perfect for holidays like July 4th, or any day in between. Fresh strawberries and blueberries are layered together with pudding and cake for a dessert like no other!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Summer Berry Trifle is perhaps the easiest dessert you'll ever make. There are only a few ingredients included in this no-bake trifle, but it creates an incredible presentation.
If you're looking for a dessert that just screams summer, this is it! Strawberries and blueberries mingle with a velvety smooth pudding that's as easy as pie to put together. It can even be made up to a day in advance. Plus, if you use a store-bought pound cake, this trifle will be ready in less than 30 minutes!
This red, white and blue dessert is perfect for summer cookouts and patriotic holidays such as the 4th of July, Veteran's Day, Memorial Day and even Labor Day! It's also a lovely centerpiece at wedding and baby showers.
The ingredients for Summer Berry Trifle are easy to find in your local grocery store. Most delis carry pre-made pound cakes which cuts prep time tremendously!
- vanilla pudding mix - be sure to use the instant type
- whole milk - using whole milk adds better flavor
- sour cream - adds extra creaminess to the pudding
- whipped cream - make your own or use whipped topping to save time
- pound cake - makes prep time much quicker
- fresh strawberries - slice for the best presentation
- fresh blueberries - use whole and rinse beforehand
Use a large trifle or punch bowl (at least 10 quarts) for this recipe. It will serve a huge crowd which makes it perfect for summer parties. For a smaller group, half the recipe.
Mix the pudding with milk, sour cream and whipped topping. Slice the strawberries and cut the cake into cubes.
Layer the following ingredients in a clear glass bowl until you reach the top, making a rim of strawberries and blueberries around the inside of the glass as you go:
- pudding mixture
- cubed cake
- sliced strawberries
At the top of the bowl, create a star pattern in the middle of the trifle with sliced strawberries, then fill in the edges with blueberries. Or mix the berries on top and decorate as desired.
Only fresh berries are recommended in this recipe. Frozen berries would be too mushy and wouldn't create the same presentation.
Yes, if you use a large trifle or punch bowl as shown in the photos, this recipe will serve at least 30 people which makes it great for summer parties.
I used two vanilla pound cakes that I bought from the grocery store and cubed them into bite size pieces. Angel food cake can also be used, but vanilla flavored cake tastes better in this recipe.
- Always start with pudding mixture first, then add cake followed by berries. For a large trifle bowl, you should have enough for 4 layers.
- When you get to the berry layer, press sliced strawberries against the glass to make the design as shown in the photos. Fill in gaps with blueberries.
- Be sure to cube the cake so it is in bite size pieces to make it easier to serve.
- Refrigerate trifle until ready to serve. It can be made a day in advance if desired.
If you love Summer Berry Trifle, try these other recipes that are sure to please!
- Vintage Strawberry Cake
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Strawberry Pecan Salad
- Red, White and Blue Pie
- July 4th Recipes
Sharing is Caring! If you love my recipes, please share with friends!