When I’m craving Mac & Cheese, I don’t want to wait over an hour for it to bake in the oven or simmer in a crockpot. Neither does my family. Don’t get me wrong, I love those versions too, but this recipe is for Stovetop Mac & Cheese emergencies.
You know what I’m talking about. Mac & Cheese makes everything better. If you’re having a bad day…you want Mac & Cheese. Heck, there’s not a single day that a bowl of creamy Mac & Cheese can’t fix.
My mom knew about its healing powers. She was a Master of the Mac. There’s no strange orange powder, eggs or flour in her recipe…just good quality cheddar cheese with butter and cream. Instant happiness. 🙂
The secret to excellent Mac & Cheese is in the cheese of course. You must grate the cheese by hand, because the shredded version has a powdered coating which prevents it from melting properly. However, you can sprinkle shredded cheese over the top if you need extra for garnish (as I did in the pic). Either way, it’s delicious.
I don’t care how old you are, a warm bowl of creamy Mac & Cheese will melt your cares away. Try Mom’s recipe and let me know what you think!Print
Stovetop Mac & Cheese is ready in a snap when you have one of those cravings for creamy, cheesy goodness.
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 12 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded by hand
- 1/2 cup half & half cream
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add pasta and boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta and place back in pot.
- Add butter and allow to melt into pasta.
- Add cheese and cream, stirring constantly over medium-low heat until melted and creamy (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic salt and pepper, stir well.
- Mix bread crumbs with butter and broil in oven for 5 minutes on a sheet pan until golden brown.
- Serve mac & cheese in bowls, and sprinkle toasted bread crumbs and extra cheese on top.
Shredding the cheese by hand makes a difference in the texture and taste.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: mac & cheese, macaroni and cheese, stovetop mac and cheese, sides
View this recipe and more on Meal Plan Monday!