German Chocolate Caramel Apples are dipped in semi-sweet chocolate, then drizzled with creamy caramel, coconut and pecans. They're the perfect sweet treat for fall and holidays like Halloween!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Imagine swirling a honey crisp apple into melted chocolate, then dipping it in your favorite toppings. If you're a german chocolate lover like me, you'll go crazy over these gourmet caramel apples that taste just like your favorite slice of cake!
These apples are perfect for parties and fun holidays like Halloween. Kids of all ages love these chocolate dipped caramel apple slices. They actually look and taste like a candy pop!
Making chocolate caramel apples is a fun activity to do with kids. Even though it can get kind of messy, that's the best part. You can't mess up these apple slices no matter how hard you try!
Ingredients You'll Need
- honey-crisp apples
- unwrapped caramels
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- coconut oil (ad)
- sweetened flaked coconut
- chopped pecans
You'll also need a popsicle stick for each slice. (Quantities are listed in the recipe card.)
I was inspired to create this recipe because German Chocolate is my favorite type of cake. But. if you want to create a caramel apple bar and offer different toppings, go for it! The sky is the limit!
Popular Apple Toppers
- candy sprinkles (rainbow, stars, edible glitter)
- crushed cookies (Oreos, Nutter Butter, Mint Patties)
- crushed candy bars (Butterfinger, Heath Bar, Almond Joy)
- candy chips (butterscotch, white chocolate, peanut butter)
- all types of chopped nuts (cashews, pistachios, peanuts)
- dried fruit (cranberries, apricots, cherries)
1 - Start by slicing apples into ¼ inch slices. It's best to cut off the ends and slice down the middle so the apples will be flat on both sides. You should be able to get 2 to 3 slices from each apple.
2 - Cut a small slit in the bottom of each slice and insert a popsicle stick until it is firmly anchored. Set the apples aside.
3 - Set up a candy dipping station with all of your toppings in bowls. Melt chocolate in a microwave in 30 second intervals. Stir each time until chocolate is creamy. Add coconut oil and stir well.
4 - Dip apple slices into chocolate. Use a spoon to fully cover each slice. Place slices on a waxed paper lined sheet pan.
5 - Immediately sprinkle coconut and pecans on each slice covered in chocolate. Melt caramel in microwave in 30 second intervals with 1 tablespoon of milk. Stir each time until caramel is creamy.
6 - Using a spoon, drizzle caramel over the top of apples that have been sprinkled with coconut and pecans. Place apples in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to harden. After they harden, break off the excess candy and place on a serving dish.
These apples make great gifts when individually wrapped. Simply place one caramel apple in a plastic bag and tie it with a twist tie or pretty bow.
German Chocolate Candy Apples make perfect favors for birthday parties, baby showers, or even wedding receptions!
Once apples have been decorated, keep them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Take out of the fridge and allow to warm up a bit before serving.
Make sure the apples are completely dry before dipping them in chocolate. Once the chocolate is on the apple slice, it will keep the caramel from sliding off.
It only takes about 30 minutes for the apples to set if they are placed in the refrigerator after dipping. The caramel will harden quickly.
Yes, in fact, you should store them in the refrigerator after 1 day. They are better when freshly made, but can last at least 2 days in the fridge.
If this recipe excites you, try my Apple Pie Filled Cinnamon Rolls that are absolutely delicious! Or, give these chocolate desserts a try...
- Salted Chocolate Toffee Bars
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Bark
- Best Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
German Chocolate Caramel Apples
*See notes in blog post for detailed tips, photos and instructions.
- 6 small honey crisp apples
- 16 popsicle sticks
- 12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups pecans finely chopped
- 11 oz. caramels unwrapped
- 1 Tbsp. milk or water
- Wash and dry apples very well. Slice into ¼ inch slices. They must be completely dry.
- Cut a small slit in the bottom of each slice. Insert a popsicle stick until it is firmly anchored.
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals until creamy. Stir each time. Add coconut oil and mix well. Keep warm.
- Dip each apple slice into chocolate. Use a spoon to fully cover each slice. Warm chocolate up in microwave if it hardens.
- Place slices on a waxed paper-lined sheet pan.
- Sprinkle coconut and pecans on each slice.
- Unwrap caramels and melt with milk in microwave at 30 second intervals until creamy. Stir well. Keep warm.
- Drizzle caramel over top of apples with a spoon.
- Place apples in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- After candy hardens, break off excess and place apples on serving dish or in wrapped packages.
- You may have to microwave chocolate and caramel throughout process to keep it from hardening.
- Before eating, let apples sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow caramel to loosen.
- Store apples in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Nutrition info is an auto generated estimate.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click an affiliate link on Quiche My Grits and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.