The first memory I have of chicken salad is when I stayed overnight with Granny Tag as a little girl. Little did I know that I would be making Rock & Roll Chicken Salad all of these years later.
My chicken salad recipe has evolved over the years, but it all began in Granny Tag’s kitchen. To this day, it’s my most requested dish.
How’d it get its name? The ‘rock’ stands for almonds and the ‘roll’ stands for grapes. Add a little dill weed, rotisserie chicken and Duke’s Mayonnaise (ad), and you’ve got a rockin’ sensation.
What is Special About This Recipe?
Granny Tag was a wild woman. Every moment she spent on earth was meant for mischief making. When she wasn’t being mischievous, she was cooking up a big pot of goodness in her kitchen. On several occasions, the two intertwined.
Every Friday night, Granny would babysit me and my brother. Her favorite babysitting activity revolved around greasing her huge claw-footed bathtub with a cup of lard. To our delight, we took turns stripping down naked and sliding all over that bathtub until we were completely worn out. Have you ever heard of a greased pig? Well, that’s exactly what we resembled.
After we were all greased up, Granny would load us in the tub, fill the water up to our necks, and float Ivory soap bars on top. Next, she would carve little holes into the bars of soap and insert lighted birthday candles. We would stay as quiet as church mice trying to dodge the candles floating around. I guess that was Granny’s way of melting the grease away.
While this craziness was going on, Granny was busy whipping up a masterpiece. I remember one of them being chicken salad with Duke’s Mayonnaise (ad) on Roman Meal bread.
Rock & Roll Chicken Salad Tips
- Use rotisserie chicken. It’s more tender and turns out perfectly every time.
- Add something crunchy like almonds, and something sweet like grapes.
- Season the chicken salad with fresh dill weed and make sure to use Duke’s Mayonnaise.
- A little garlic powder goes a long way to give this chicken salad its outstanding flavor.
Rock & Roll Chicken Salad is the way it was meant to be. This is the best chicken salad you’ll ever eat, and it’s still my most requested recipe!
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise ( I use Duke’s)
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced onion
- 4 oz. sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 tsp. minced fresh dill weed
- 1 dash garlic powder
- fresh dill to garnish (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until everything is well blended.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Stir well before serving and garnish with fresh dill if desired.
After refrigerating, add more Duke’s mayonnaise to make it creamier.
Spread on sliced bread for a sandwich, scoop onto a bed of lettuce, or stuff into a croissant.
Dried dill weed may be substituted for fresh if desired.
- Category: Salads
- Method: Mix by Hand
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: best chicken salad, rock and roll chicken salad, chicken salad, southern chicken salad
My Rock & Roll Chicken Salad was FEATURED on Meal Plan Monday!
Like what you see? Be sure to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!
I’d love to hear what you think about this recipe. Please leave me a comment and *STAR* rating below…