You know the feeling…a craving that comes over you to create something magical from something downright pitiful. That’s exactly how I feel every time I see bananas turning brown. Gone is the fruit of their youth. They need resuscitation.
Banana Bread to the rescue! I’ve often wondered how this idea came to be. Who would think to turn a bunch of brown bananas into something so glorious?
Enter sour cream…the magical, mystical ingredient that makes everything sassy in the south. Want your cornbread to be more moist? Add sour cream. Make the best chicken pot pie in the world? Add sour cream. Impress your friends with banana bread? You guessed it…add sour cream.
To balance out everything, I decided to bake this banana bread with pistachios. I mean, I’ve baked it with walnuts, pecans and chocolate chips. Why not try pistachios? And why not add some dried cherries just because I love them? Oh, yes I will!Print
Sour cream makes this banana bread so moist you’ll be sneaking slices to hide from the rest of the family. Adding pistachios and dried cherries puts it over the top!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 over ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a glass or metal loaf pan.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar together until well blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
- Mash bananas, then slowly add to mixer.
- Add sour cream and mix until just incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients together.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet mixture on slow speed.
- Try not to over mix.
- Stir in pistachios and dried cherries.
- Pour into 9 X 5 greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for at least 1 hour. In my oven, it takes 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Test by inserting a toothpick in middle. Continue baking if it doesn’t come out clean.
- Let banana bread cool for at least 1 hour before cutting.
Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup walnuts instead of pistachios and cherries if you wish, or leave out the extras all together!
- Category: Breads
- Method: Mixer
Keywords: banana bread, pistachios, cherries