You’ve probably eaten many grilled cheese sandwiches in your life, but have you made one using pesto and gouda? Combine Pesto Grilled Cheese with Fire Roasted Tomato Soup, and you’ll be hanging out in comfort-food heaven.
Why You’ll Love This Sandwich
There’s nothing else in this world that can calm the waters like a grilled cheese sandwich. Had a bad day? Make grilled cheese. Had a great day? Make grilled cheese.
Either way, just make it. But, take my word for it…you gotta make it like this because the flavor combination makes all the difference.
How to Make It
Start out with really good sourdough bread. I like to buy a loaf and cut it myself. That way, I can adjust the width of the slices. Spread slices with mayonnaise, (ad) then add a swipe of basil pesto…which is basically Italian nectar.
Layer slices of the bread with two kinds of cheese. I like to use White American slices and Gouda shreds. Both of these cheeses are destined to melt into a golden swirl of goodness. Yum city!
Close the sandwiches and grill with butter in a cast iron skillet. The heat of the skillet will create the perfect toasty goodness on the outside, and melt the cheese to divine yumminess on the inside.
What’s Different About This Grilled Cheese?
So, what makes this sandwich different from the rest? It’s the hint of pesto that takes it to another dimension. The gouda cheese is also a nice deviation from sharp cheddar.
I also think that sourdough is the best bread to use for grilling. It holds up well to heat, and creates a crispy crust which is what you want to compliment the creamy cheese inside.
Go ahead. Give it a whirl! I promise you’ll be making this sandwich every time you get that cheesy craving.
More Sandwiches to LovePrint
You’ve eaten grilled cheese sandwiches before, but have you ever made one with basil pesto and gouda? Now, we’re talking!
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise (I use Duke’s) ad
- 1 Tbsp. basil pesto
- 4 slices white American cheese
- 8 oz. Gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- Spread 4 slices of bread with mayonnaise (ad) and a swipe of pesto.
- Working with 2 slices of bread, pile half of the cheeses on each slice.
- Close the sandwiches with the other 2 slices. Press sandwich firmly.
- Spread one side of each sandwich with butter.
- Place sandwiches in preheated cast iron skillet with the buttered sides down.
- Grill on medium low heat until bread turns golden brown. (about 5 minutes per side)
- Spread the tops of both sandwiches with more butter and flip over to grill the other sides.
- Grill until the cheese is melted.
Keep the heat low so it won’t burn the bread.
Serve with a piping hot bowl of Fire Roasted Tomato Soup.
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: grilled cheese, gouda, pesto, sourdough, panini, sandwiches, cheese, tomato soup
Keep in Touch
Like what you see? Be sure to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER so you’ll never miss a thing!
I’d love to hear what you think about this recipe. Please leave a comment and *STAR* rating below…