Who doesn’t love cupcakes? How about Strawberry Coconut Cupcakes with Pink Buttercream Icing?
There’s just something about eating your own little cake that makes life worth living. You don’t have to share it with anybody. It’s just you and a perfectly swirled little cake. Suddenly, all your cares fade away. Then, the only thing that matters in the universe is becoming one with the icing!
If you don’t believe me, try visiting a kindergarten classroom on Valentine’s Day. It was there I discovered the power and mystique of a frosted cupcake. It has the ability to turn a frown into a smile within seconds. Hardly anyone can be sad or angry while eating their own little cake!
Perhaps adults should eat cupcakes more often.
That’s why I set out to make a cupcake only adults would love. My secret ingredient? Coconut. Kids hate coconut. They won’t touch the stuff. If you want to make sure you never have to share your cupcake with the kids…make a big batch of these. 🙂
How to Make Strawberry Coconut Cupcakes
Strawberry Coconut Cupcakes start with a cake mix and end with a whole lotta loving. If you’ve never jazzed up a cake mix before, now’s your chance to give it a whirl. Instead of following the directions on the back of the box, you add lots of stuff that makes the cake taste like it came from a bakery!
You’ll need 4 eggs, 1 stick of melted butter, 1 cup of milk, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and a small box of instant vanilla pudding. Mix all of that together with a dry box of cake mix, then add 1 cup of coconut and 1 cup of chopped strawberries.
Scoop the batter into lined muffin tins (ad), filling each one 3/4 full. Bake for 17 minutes at 350 degrees, and your house will smell like a strawberry garden!
Time to Make Pink Buttercream Icing!
In my opinion, the best part of this cupcake is the delicious buttercream icing. Adding pink gel food coloring (ad) is optional, but doesn’t it look pretty? Just wait until you taste this beauty!
The best buttercream icing starts with 5 cups of powdered sugar, 2 sticks of softened butter, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of cream. Blend it together with a mixer, then add 1 teaspoon of pink gel food coloring. Mix until smooth, then add to a piping bag with your choice of tip. I use this handy cupcake decorating set from Wilton (ad).
Piping the cupcakes takes a little practice, but it’s easy if you start on the bottom of each cupcake and swirl around and up in a clockwise motion. If you’ve ever made a soft serve ice cream cone, it’s the same technique.
Don’t worry if you mess up! The cook gets to eat all of the mistakes. Enjoy your cupcake. And, let all your cares fade away.Print
Strawberry Coconut Cupcakes are the perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day, or any day in between. They’re filled with real strawberry goodness!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 box (16.25 oz) vanilla cake mix, dry
- 1 box (3.4 oz)vanilla instant pudding, dry
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. pink gel food coloring (ad)
- strawberries cut in half for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs and milk together in a mixer.
- Add dry cake mix and dry vanilla pudding. Blend for 1 minute.
- Add melted butter, blend 1 minute.
- Stir in strawberries and coconut until blended.
- Scoop batter into lined muffin tins. (ad)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 17 minutes and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Blend powdered sugar with softened butter in a mixer for 2 minutes on medium.
- Add cream and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Add pink gel food coloring (ad) and blend well.
- Place into a piping bag with choice of tip (ad).
- Frost cupcakes in a swirl (starting on bottom and going around and up in a clockwise motion).
- Garnish each cupcake with a strawberry that has been cut in half.
If desired, add more food coloring to icing to achieve the color you like.
Refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Mix & Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cupcakes, strawberry, coconut, cake mix, baking, desserts, valentine’s day, birthdays