Vintage Strawberry Cake will take you back to the days when Granny was baking in the kitchen and the smell of strawberries filled the air!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups mashed strawberries, drained well (or use 1 cup freeze-dried berries)
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, sliced in chunks, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar (may need more if icing is thin)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup mashed strawberries, drained well (or use 1/2 cup freeze-dried berries)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir flour with sugar in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, then add oil and water. Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Blend with a mixer on medium speed for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk together. Pour into contents in mixing bowl.
- Add drained strawberries and mix batter for 1 minute on medium speed until combined. Batter will turn pink.
- Pour batter into a 13 x 9 inch greased and floured pan. (ad)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes until cake springs bake in the center. Remove from oven and cool.
- Place cream cheese in a mixer and blend until smooth. Add slices of butter gradually and continue to blend until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and mix until thickened. Mix in vanilla.
- Drain strawberries well and add to mixture. Or, use freeze dried berries. (ad)
- Blend until icing turns pink.
- If icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar to thicken.
- Pour icing on top of cooled cake and spread with a knife or spatula.
- Top cake with additional strawberries if desired.
Make sure strawberries are drained well each time they are used. Use a paper towel or cheesecloth to squeeze out all the excess moisture. If you want to avoid this step, use freeze-dried (ad) strawberries instead. They work better in my opinion.
You may need more powdered sugar if the icing is too thin.
If you can't find self-rising flour, add 3 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt to 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry cake, cream cheese icing, cream cheese frosting, strawberry cream cheese icing, cake, strawberries, vintage recipes